Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth switching tools?

Is it worth switching tools?

Right now I have all Dewalt 18v tools. 1 hammer drill(weak), 2 VSR drills, 1 impact and a circular saw. I have 4 XRP batteries (1 rebuild) and 2 regular and 2 chargers. Both the regular batteries are weak. The hammer drill is weak but the other tools are in great shape. While looking at Makita tools at Home Depot I ran across an 18v lithium brushless impact/hammer drill/2 3ah batteries/charger kit marked down by 1/3. Old model I believe is the reason for the markdown. Seems like a decent deal?! So, is it worth it to upgrade, or should I stick with the Dewalts until the tools or batteries start dying? I thought about keeping the circular saw, 2 of the 4 batteries/1 charger and selling the drills/impact/charger which should buy at least 1 extra battery. I don't need to upgrade but this set just caught my eye. Will the brushless lithium powered tool be an improvement worth going for? Thanks. Greg
    Last edited by Greg Urwiller; 02-12-2016 at 9:15 AM.

That is a question a lot of us ponder every time we see a special on the new tool by another company. The short opinion is if the tools are ok, then just get more batteries. I have nearly every 18V nicad powered tool they made along with 12+ batteries, and no complaint thus far. My batteries last from 5-15 years depending on the level of abuse and how often they stepped into the grinder. You can get Dewalt brand batteries (2.4ah) on Amazon at 2 for $100 compared to a single lithium 18V battery for $100. There also some knock-offs for lower price, but I would be careful there.... If you get enough batteries that you're never grabbing one off the charger the second it is done, AND you swap them out as soon as you notice them slowing down you should get some pretty good life out of them. Of course the appeal of a bunch of new tools weighs heavily too!

As I just mentioned in another thread, look at Ridgid. Lifetime warranty which includes batteries, and quite a bit cheaper than the competition.
    I just bought a set for $159.
    18V 3 speed impact driver and hammer drill.
    Gerry

JointCAM

My drill quit despite a good battery. So I went looking at new drills researching online etc. One thing I noted online was that while Rigid has that "lifetime warranty" there were a lot of people complaining that they couldn't get replacements do to various technicalities by HD or Rigid. So all I have to say is dot your i's and cross your t's on that one and hopefully things work in your favor. I ended up with a dewalt set from Farm & Fleet a more regional store by me. They gave a good trade in on any old cordless (working or not) for a new DeWalt set. I used the DeWalt NiCad set with my Dad a lot and had good experience which also helped sway the decision.

I work as a tradesman and have for decades. Dewalt battery tools are probably my least favorite tools of any of them. I have an 18 volt drill as a company owned tool at the moment, but would not give them a dime for their battery operated tools.

My Dewalt Miter saw on the other hand is pretty much flawless. Were I to be given a couple million dollars and have a desire to blow it rapidly, I would replace the Miter Saw with a Kapex.

But no, I have had less luck with Dewalt battery tools than anything else out there.

Blog Entries
    I have 14 volt tools and I recently had the batteries rebuilt by MTO. I had two batteries rebuilt for less than the cost on one new one. The tools have as much power and life as they did when they were new.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    As I just mentioned in another thread, look at Ridgid. Lifetime warranty which includes batteries, and quite a bit cheaper than the competition.
    I just bought a set for $159.
    18V 3 speed impact driver and hammer drill.
    This is what I did. I have not bought a battery in over a decade.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You could consider the new 20 volt MAX dewalt's. I say this because they do have an adapter to use on the older 18 volt equipment. http://www.mscdirect.com/product/det...S_010=61133476 I have mostly M12 & M18 Milwaukee, have 2 of the Dewalt 12 volt max screwdrivers. I like them, but picked them up in a trade in program for about $110 for both sets. Limitation with the 12 volt is no 3.0 Amp Hour or larger batteries. Not the case with the 20 volt Max. I do have an older 12 volt NICAD Rigid, had the Batteries replaced once. It is my loaner now, because of the size of it compared to the M12 & M18 Milwaukee's. So if changing, I would consider the Milwaukee line. Dan

After reading the answers I realize that that I shouldn't have included the brand issue in the question (fixed that). What I'm more curious about is whether it's wise to upgrade when everything I have is working? Not a smoking deal, but it is a decent one none the less. I've had the Dewalts for several years and have no complaints. I wasn't looking for a new set but seeing this one just got me thinking(bad thing, I know). Just wondering if there's that much of an upside to the brushless and lithium issues? Thanks

There are certainly a lot of people happy with Dewalt 18v XRP tools. Lots of others not happy. A local lumber yard & tool supplier recently had the 18v XRP Drill and circular saw on special as a bare tool for $99.95 each. A pair of batteries were also $99.95. Both were selling rapidly to mostly construction workers, not DIYs.

One of the advantages is that the batteries are inexpensive and can be rebuilt. Disadvantage is that they are heavy and NiCad will lose power when not used. So if it sits unused for a couple months, it may not have much charge left. Cold weather does bad things to most Lithium batteries, which can certainly be a consideration in your climate. The newest ones from Makita and Milwaukee, possibly Bosch, seem to be working around that problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Urwiller View Post
    After reading the answers I realize that that I shouldn't have included the brand issue in the question (fixed that). What I'm more curious about is whether it's wise to upgrade when everything I have is working? Not a smoking deal, but it is a decent one none the less. I've had the Dewalts for several years and have no complaints. I wasn't looking for a new set but seeing this one just got me thinking(bad thing, I know). Just wondering if there's that much of an upside to the brushless and lithium issues? Thanks
    The batteries will always die before the tools. As to lithium, I've gotten rid of everything that didn't use them. I am totally spoiled by not using a tool for weeks and picking it up and going to work. So, if that is your focus for improvement, lithium wins and a tool change is the way to get there. Maybe there is someone you know who would be head over heels to get your old stuff, even in its current state.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've worked with a bunch of different drills. Used to have DeWalt XRP NiCad stuff when I started out. When I was a GC, I ran all Makita Lithium Ion. I also worked with some other contractors and used the tools they had on site (Milwaukee, Ridgid, DeWalt Lion). They all perform the task asked of them with no complaints. That said, I prefer the Makita due to weight distribution, grip feel, and LED placement). Second favorite was Ridgid.

If you use the tools enough to justify it and if the DeWalt stuff is starting to not do the job for you, I would keep an eye out for the next sale (or the current one that you saw) and make the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Neill View Post
    My drill quit despite a good battery. So I went looking at new drills researching online etc. One thing I noted online was that while Rigid has that "lifetime warranty" there were a lot of people complaining that they couldn't get replacements do to various technicalities by HD or Rigid. So all I have to say is dot your i's and cross your t's on that one and hopefully things work in your favor..
    They refused to register my sanders, claiming my receipts from HD were invalid. Go figure.

My registration was already verified. Not sure why it takes almost two weeks, though. Registration is a bit of a pain, requiring 5 serial numbers, and online order #. Takes about 20 minutes.
    We'll see what happens in a few years when the batteries go.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Just to note, the DeWalt 20v tools are not 20 volt. They are 18 volt lithium Ion and a different form factor. Can't remember where I read this, I have both 20v and XRP. I love the tools, hate the XRP batteries, glad to have switched to the lithium batteries as they're lighter seem to keep a charge longer and recharge quicker.

I switched because after buying more than 10 XRP batteries over the years and always ending up with ones that would not charge, I gave up on the 18v DeWalts.

Kipp