Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of Battery Powered Drills

Tired of Battery Powered Drills

There are some posts on SMC about corded drills, but the question of finding a compact CORDED drill hasn't come up in a while that I can see.

I'm tired of the infrequent use pattern (mine) that yields a need for a drill/driver that is invariably in need of a charge. I have a great battery drill (Festool), but I'd like to find something in a drill/driver (reversible, with a clutch) that was corded and yet compact. The standard Ridgid/Ryobi 3/8" drill/drivers are bigger than what I have in mind. Something like the close quarters drills sold by Milwaukee and Dewalt would be good, but those aren't reversible and don't have a clutch.

Anybody seen anything compact, corded, reversible, and with a clutch?

Thanks!
    Athens, AL

I'm interested in the responses to this one, too. I spend way to much time dead in the water waiting for batteries to charge. I definitely need a corded drill for backup duty, though I'd probably be looking at something in the 1/2" size.

I don't think you're going to find a nicer compact drill than your Festool, sounds like you just need another battery to keep in the charger.

Good topic Jeff! I'm also interested in tthe responses you get here.

I haven't heard of a small corded drill that's gonna meet all your specs - especially since you're used to festool quality and features. But I have the same problems you described and finally went back to corded tools. Above my bench sits a small corded drill in a wall holder I made. It's just a regular old black and decker 1/4" drill and it doesn't have a clutch. But it works well enough.

Good luck!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 02-12-2016 at 8:28 AM.

Haven't seen such a beast. Perhaps you just need to invest in another battery? I bought both the Bosch LiIon 18v driver and drill, each came with two batteries. I've never been stuck without a battery even when using both tools fairly hard. I got two different sizes of battery; the small ones make for a lighter, more compact package and still drive fasteners for a very long time.

Jeff, I bought this one about 4 years ago and I'm happy with it. It is mid-handled (nice) and lighter than any of my battery-operated 18v drills and drivers. It does not have a clutch but so far it has not tried to twist my hand off like my big corded Makita (which I ALWAYS use with the 90-deg handle!) This one is very inexpensive.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    For me it is not about the extra battery, it is about the speed of the drill. I use corded drill for higher speed requirements and would love to find a small VS form factor that spun at 3000 RPM or so.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Battery technology and capacity have advanced a lot since the 80's when i started using.
    Todays tools are so good, and most come with 2 batteries, that you really can't use up the current charge before the second is ready.
    Discipline to recharge is obviously the key.
    The market has moved very heavily into cordless tools with the strength of corded, for obvious reasons in construction. Purchases of corded have fallen away. Manufacturers have followed the money.
    I doubt you will find what your after.
    BTW the 2 newest Festools i have are absolutely incredible- the PDC 18v, and the tiny TSC 10v- head and shoulders above the 15v one i got just 2-3 years ago.

I've never had that problem with my battery powered drills, and I'm an "infrequent user" as well. I have a Makita set (drill, impact, flashlight) and a battery for each. If one happens to loose power, I put it on the charger and grab the flashlight battery.

I'm still interested to see what's out there though.

I don't know which Festool drill that you have but if it is a LiIon drill, unused batteries will hold a charge forever. Festool LiIon batteries are pretty much the least expensive of all. I just bought 2 4.2ah for my T-15 at $30 each. Full list price on the 5.2ah is $63, which is half the price of Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, Milwaukee.

If you have one with the electronic clutch, which is all but the CXS and the new small T-handle version of that, you aren't going to find any drill that matches the drill AND driver function. Even the $600 Fein with the electronic clutch isn't near as good for precision use. The Bosch PS10 comes close to the driver function but not a drill as its hex only.

I don't think there is any corded drill with good driver function. There are some corded screwdrivers for production drywall installation but again those aren't drills.

I have a number of corded drills but I see their use as different from the cordless. For example, I recently came back from a trade show with two for personal use that are similar to ones I have in business use:
    Milwaukee-Drills.jpg
    0-4000rpm Magnum for drilling small holes in steel and pocket holes.
    0-600rpm Magnum D-Handle for big holes

Both of these do functions that make any cordless look sad by comparison.

Air drills are super compact and ergonomic. They also spin fast enough for drilling small pilot holes.

They come in a variety of sizes and formats.

My biggest complaint with corded drills has always been the lack of a brake. When you release the trigger, they keep spinning. Nice when running a big hole saw though.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    My biggest complaint with corded drills has always been the lack of a brake. When you release the trigger, they keep spinning. Nice when running a big hole saw though.
    Plus the fact that the torque can break your wrist.....perhaps other side of the same coin. I just know that when I use a corded drill, I always brace my wrist with the other hand so I don't end up in a cast.

I am with others in that I seldom use a corded drill any more. I have 3 - 4 of them sitting around gathering dust. I just bought a brushless Milwaukee 18v and it is great. I use the driver all day and never run out of power, and that is with the normal battery. I bought the extended battery just in case and have not needed it ever. I don't do a large amount of drilling, mostly driving screws etc. so perhaps if I was drilling large holes all day long it would be different.

Harbor Freight angle drill (95877). Variable speed, reversible, almost right angle, with tucked in chuck. No clutch, no Festool, but works fine for the occasional times I need it....and cheap.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

If you have a good reserve of air these are great and last forever
    http://www.smokesign.com/airdrills.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Tracey View Post
    Air drills are super compact and ergonomic. They also spin fast enough for drilling small pilot holes.
    Carpe Lignum