Thread: Greene Bros bathroom vanity

Greene Bros bathroom vanity

I am a big fan of the Greene Bros designs which I have used (borrowed/stolen) to build several pieces of furniture out of cherry. Now, I am beginning to design a bathroom vanity and strongly considering using their design elements such as finger jointed drawers, cloud lifts on panel door frames and ebony plugs. The initial plan is to have two stacks of 10" wide drawers on each end and a center door with a tilt out above it. The width is 41" and the useable height is about 27-28" allowing for a reasonable toe kick.

If I use 1/2" stock for the inset drawers with finger joints, it seems that bottom mounted center slides would be most practical. I am a concerned about the effects of large humidity changes on various types of wooden drawer mounts such as grooves in the sides of the drawers and runners fixed to the interior cabinet panels. A center mounted bottom wood slide also is questionable. I hope to find center bottom mounted mechanical slides but have not looked into that yet. Any suggestions?

The finger joints for 1/2" material, if regularly spaced, would require the drawer heights to vary by 1" increments which is not a problem. The back of the drawer boxes would be through dovetails.

I have searched the forums for similar designs and did not find a lot of examples. Other than a matter of taste, is there a practical reason to avoid G&G style for bathroom vanities. Suggestions for the vanity top and sink would be welcome as well.

Thanks in advance for comments and criticisms.
    David
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Blog Entries
    Another G&G fan here. For the scale you describe I would find the 1/2" fingers a bit small. For other folks I use side hung wooden glides since that's what they want. For my own furniture I use full extension glides since I want capacity and the look ;-)

CoD-Finished-2.jpg

There is no reason for the fingers to be regularly spaced.

CoD-fingers-2-to-go.jpg

You can have fun with the door treatments and pulls as well.

GnG Wall Cab (166).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-12-2016 at 10:54 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi Glenn,
    I am also a fan of your work and saw your recent post with the top pictured project. Thanks for the response.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

There are some nice Accuride flat ball bearing slides that are intended to be bottom mounted - check out the specs in their FAQ page - https://www.accuride.com/en-us/resources/faqs

Nice work Glenn!
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Hammered copper, with an integrated copper sink, would be spectacular for the countertop. Unimaginably expensive, but that's also part of the G&G tradition ;-) I think a green soapstone would also look good.

We just toured the Gamble house a couple months ago, and I don't remember what was in the bathrooms-- I think just plain white porcelain of the "sanitary era" of bathroom design.

+1 on the hidden undermount glides-- having full extension drawers in the bathroom is worth some compromise with tradition.

Yeah, copper would be pretty. It turns out that copper sinks are roughly the same cost as stainless steel. They're made in Mexico, in many of the same shapes as the stainless ones. Google with "copper sink".

You might have to do some searching for copper faucets. The usual silver-colored ones would clash.