Thread: Router Bit - Tongue & Groove ??

Router Bit - Tongue & Groove ??

I do a lot of shaker doors so I am looking for a recommendation for a router bit or bits to make tongue and groove joints. I have seen where one bit can be used for both the tongue and groove. I have also seen separate bits; one for the tongue and another the groove.

I don't mind spending the extra money if the end result is better. Feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ed

Rabbet bits (best, one designed for only 3/8) are the ideal tools for tongues.
    To center, take equal amounts form both sides of the panel.
    Slotters (like those from WMC) are the best tools to make grooves.
    Slots can be centered much the same way as the tongues.
    With a couple of these cheap bits (& a router table) you can produce offset,
    centered, or single faced tongues. The slots can be positioned any where on the
    thickness, of depths up to ~1/2".
    Requires good material prep, but very little money.

I use the Freud Adjustable Tongue & Groove set http://www.amazon.com/1-3-Dia-Adjust.../dp/B00006XMTT - works fine for me. Setup is a little finicky but works great once you get it dialed in.

I'm sure Pat's solution is a lot cheaper - and I know he's forgotten far more about how to make the best use of a router than I've ever learned, so I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong following his advice.

I got the 2 piece set so I could set up 2 routers, but what i end up doing mostly is make spline and groove joints using the table saw with a dado blade.

No shortage of stock to make splines. I would rather run the table saw and it is much faster for me.