Thread: drawer front warpage

drawer front warpage

Just finished the drawer fronts for my first vanity. They are Alder and are about (memory) 5/8 thick. Everything was nice and flat when i glued them up. After that i put a nice edge on them, 3 coat of oil based poly and then went to attach them tonight. A couple had warped some. The biggest (9" wide...i know this is wide for a drawer front w/o doing stiles and rails) cupped.

I know this is a basic question but how do you prevent this? i only put poly on 1 side and i'm curious if this is much of a factor. The boards that were used were about 5" wide so all but the smaller drawers were made from 2 joined boards.

A few other factors:
    • i live in SC but i noticed the warpage before i brought the wood into the house (so humidity didn't radically change).
    • the entire process for joining, planing and glueing and then replaning happened relatively fast -- 2 evenings (fast for my typical projects).
    • the fist coat of poly (50% thinned) was put on probably 4 days later and it took 3 days to get the 3 coats on.
    • I noticed the warpage when i went to install them, then day after the last coat of poly was applied <-- the warpage could have been there for a while though.
    I'm sure i need to read up on wood characteristics but any pointers are appreciated.

Bob, if these drawer fronts are "false fronts" and going on the front of a complete drawer box...the process of fastening them will flatten them out. And yes, I do suspect that prefinishing on the front (and presumably edges) will have caused the issue you describe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Always seal both sides otherwise you will tend to get movement.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

ok..thanks. i thought that may be the case.