Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Small "Girlie Things" Table :)

Project: Small "Girlie Things" Table :)

Ok, in the last week I installed a nice wall-hung bookcase in the girls' room as well as raised the beds so under-bed storage bins could be used. I also installed new lighting so that each girl would have their own "local" source of light for reading as well as general room light and put in an Arc Fault breaker just for good measure. With the dresser moved over under the new shelving there is a nice space between the beds and lights that was calling out to me..."Build something to go here!" So I did. Consider this yet another "spontaneous project" whanged out from available materials, just as the shelving was.

This table is relatively small at 16 1/2" deep by 37" wide and 28 1/2" tall...perfect for things that young girls do in front of a mirror. Just coincidently, there is already a mirror on the wall right above where the table will go! Sheesh! The legs are poplar milled to 1 3/4" square and the rest of the framing is scrap plywood. The top is black walnut off the property...a panel I had in the rack that was originally intended as the bottom interior "shelf" for an aborted sideboard project. It has a little bit of sap in it and is not particularly grain matched, but it really does look nice anyway.

Construction was what "A-the-younger" (the younger of the two girls we are adopting) termed "Frast, Papa, Frast!"...pocket screws. Yes, this is a "wham, bang, thank you mam" project. I started it at 3pm and put the last color coat on the base at 9pm tonight. Over the next few days, I'll spray on a few coats of clear finish on the base and already-oiled top to complete the project.

Pics:

1. That space between the lights and beds is where this puppy is going to go
    2. All the components were cut, milled and made ready for assembly. Those poplar legs were a good testament as to how quickly the changeover between jointing and planing is on my MM machine as I actually did a few iterations to take one 4' long 1 13/16" thick board and turn it into four 28" long, 1 3/4" square (and smooth) legs. The rest of the material was just plywood scraps ripped to width and cut to length.
    3. Pocket screw construction was chosen because of the speed it offered
    4. Since I was mating 1 3/4" material with 3/4" material, I just used the bench and the WonderDogs to clamp the legs and front and back aprons
    5. Same for assembling the shorter end-aprons to the already-assembled front and back assembly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-11-2005 at 10:40 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

More pics:

1. Frame all assembled
    2. Frame with top ready for sanding and finishing
    3. Black walnut top oiled...wood is off our property as is the poplar in the legs
    4. Primer applied to the frame
    5. First color coat on the frame...the second one was applied about an hour later. Oh, I cheated on covering the pocket screw holes in the lower stretchers before putting on the color...'stuck some label stock over them. Yea, it's not fine furniture... ...but it was "Frast, papa. Frast!" And I always do what the women in my life tell me.
    I'll post a final picture once the unit is clear coated and "installed" in the room
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-11-2005 at 10:39 PM.
    --

Room's lookin' good Jim. Great job on this project.

Bob
    bob m

Jim, isn't being a dad hard work? Great job on the proejcts. The walnut top is a nice touch to the painted frame. It's going to look great. But did you make it big enough? Come one, two girls can generate a lot of stuff! Good for you! Well done. And blessings on your home.

Jason, one of the reasons for the new wall-hung bookcase and moving the dresser was to create a slightly larger "play" area between the beds, so I didn't want this table to be "too big". I suspect it will work out just fine we have so many other "surfaces" in other rooms to pile stuff on, too! The space isn't quite as large as it looks in that first picture in this thread...wide angle lense distortion does that. The room is only 9' x 13'. (18" thick stone walls at that level...) I'm considering this table somewhat of a "vanity" piece...as it were...
    --

Jim,

That is great! You are a great dad....family is what its all about!!! The room looks just wonderful and you are making the girls very happy!!!

PS: Who takes the photos of you when your in the shop? Auto camera?
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Jim---The girls are going to love the table. You sure seem to be enjoying your new role.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

nice table jim ... I like the walnut top and painted base. great combination of colors. sounds like life is good and getting better

best wishes
    lou

Hi Jim, The room really looks great. Nice job on the table.
    talk to you later,
    John

Looking Good Jim,

This Daddy thing is pretty cool, Isn't it!!
    Tony

Jim the table looks great. Did you use the plugs or bondo to cover the pocket screws?

It is a wonderful thing that you have a shop and are able to build things for your girls ! I didn't have a shop when I had kids at home so now that I do I get to build not only for them but my grandkids as well. Nothing better. Great lookin table.

Jim, it sure looks great! I am sure that the girls will love it
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Jim,

Looks like a nice table. Sometimes quick is the best method!

Jim, the room is coming along great. I'm sure the girls will find it to their liking.

If you can could you enlighten us as to the timetable for the adoption? I seem to recall in a previous thread some mention about having to travel to Russia this winter. Is that still a go?

I'm just curious as to the time frame.

Thanks.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.