Thread: Plane Identification Question

Question Plane Identification Question

I have had for years an old coffin plane marked "Marten Doscher, New York". The iron is "W Butcher, Cast Steel, Sheffield". Is this a known plane maker? I am not familiar with wooden planes, and this has been just a decor item up to now. It seems to be in very good condition and I was wondering if it might be worth cleaning up and using. All of my experience has been with power tools and a collection of Stanley planes. Any ideas of it's age? Thanks, folks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stanley Thigpen; 02-13-2016 at 9:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    I would sharpen the blade and find a piece of scrap wood to give it a whirl.

Just my 2¢ Two Cents.png.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I believe I read on Steve Voigt's blog that the last wooden plane maker closed in 1927. So it must be from before that. Definitely worth a sharpening and a run down a piece of wood.

Marten Doscher was a hardware and tool dealer in NYC from 1879 to 1894. There are 4 different makers stamps associated with his business.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I have collected W. Butcher items over the years and find the steel to be quite good. Sharpen and tune the plane. I'll bet that you'll be pleased. If not, send it to me.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Those old plane makers used to buy the iron from a supplier so the name on the wooden part will be different from the name on the iron. Butcher is a good name for irons. More than likely it's a laminated iron.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Marten Doscher made planes in NYC from 1879-1894. W. Butcher is only made the blades so many early plane makers userd them. Marten Doscher planes are fairly common.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools