Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A jack plane

I think the pallet wood quote came from the ukworkshop forum. Never mind.

Beech is not very rare overhere, not even expensive, but 10 cm thick, quarter sawn and well seasoned isn't available on every corner of the street. Add to that my stinginess, and I find it very hard not to use a piece of wood I allready have.

I am not a stingy person. But,I will hang on to particularly,ultimately fine wood until I die. I just can't bring myself to cut it up! Now,I've been thinking about selling some of it as I am getting pretty old and worn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    When drilling I aim right in between the angle of the bed and the wear. That seems safest to me, because those drillbits like to wander a bit.
    Kees, I have to agree with Stewie. You'll get better results (on a drill press) if you drill at the wear angle or very close to it. Use a brad point bit and you shouldn't get any wander at all. Reducing the angle (making it closer to perpendicular) will reduce the wandering.

For more steeply angled holes, this is what I use:

IMG_3413.jpg

Peter Galbert calls this a "bismarck" grind, and has some good info on his blog. He starts with a twist drill; I start with a brad point and just grind the wings off. Takes about 3 minutes, and I can drill straight holes at 45° no problem.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

That's two votes to drill close to the wear line. Thanks Stewie and Steve, I give it a try on the next one. Nice tip about that drill bit too.

Kees. As an additional choice to what Steve mentioned I use a tapered drill bit very similar to these.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-16-2016 at 5:52 AM.

That's some nice drill bits. I'll see if these are available overhere.

Just look for drills for drilling holes for screws. I've ground them myself out of normal drill bits. But,you have to be pretty good at grinding. Always keep the cutting edges higher that the metal that is behind them.