Thread: Burrrrr..........and not the sharpening thread kind

Burrrrr..........and not the sharpening thread kind

Just to share with our friends in California, Texas, Arizona, and various other warm areas. I can't let you feel the current -10 degree temperature (without the windchill) but this is how it looks....

image.jpg

With a slight wind it adds to the experience. This morning I was watching "Sunday Morning" on CBS and there was a great story on Eco-Tourism and Polar Bears. It took place in Churchill, Manitoba Canada. They touched on the extreme temperatures, special clothing etc etc if you were going to make the trip. Even the reporter commented it was a great trip but you really have to plan for the extreme temperatures.

I looked it up on the weather channel to see what it actually was.......oh, it's 15 degrees WARMER right now then we are.....haha....off to feed and water the chickens and animals.....

Blog Entries
    Out here in the Pacific Northwest we have been getting the El Nino effect. Our temps are above normal for this time of year.

Most of the time during the winter I bundle up in the shop. This year I have been doing some work in just a tee shirt.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

[QUOTE=Jebediah Eckert;2529629]Just to share with our friends in California, Texas, Arizona, and various other warm areas. I can't let you feel the current -10 degree temperature (without the windchill) but this is how it looks...

-10.....that's bathing suit weather!!!!...I woke up to -38 here this morning without the windchill!!

My Daughter in NH sent me a picture of her tv weather with -23 F I sent her one back of mine at 82F
    I can't repeat what she said to me, had to remind her I'm still her father and know how to wash a mouth with soap LOL 0213161903.jpg
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 02-14-2016 at 2:05 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I don't know where you daughter lives Bert, but it did get up to Zero at my house today. It was -12 at 0630 this morning wiht the wind blowing fairly briskly.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

-12 20 minutes west of boston @ 7am today.

Coldest day on record for boston and wrocester since 1957.

Crazy!

I spent all day in my unheated basement shop. Mid 50's not to bad considering i have been working outside all winter.

Still not warm but i had fun.

Only - 8 ° in the mid-coast of Maine this AM. Windy too . Nice day to stay in and do our taxes
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

[QUOTE=Barry McFadden;2529674]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    J

-10.....that's bathing suit weather!!!!...I woke up to -38 here this morning without the windchill!!
    Haha, I knew there would be plenty that had me beat. I guess there are a bunch of us currently living colder then The Polar Bears!

off to feed and water the chickens and animals.....
    Hey, that's my routine too, several times a day. I put electric heaters in the water tubs for the llamas and donkeys, heater for the chicken's water in an old birdbath, heated poultry waterers for the peacocks, heated dog watering bowl, a geothermal waterer for the horses, and I carry liquid water to the rabbits several times a day. Fortunately only one length of hose in involved which I keep clear with compressed air. I liked winter a whole lot more back when I was 64.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Hey, that's my routine too, several times a day. I put electric heaters in the water tubs for the llamas and donkeys, heater for the chicken's water in an old birdbath, heated poultry waterers for the peacocks, heated dog watering bowl, a geothermal waterer for the horses, and I carry liquid water to the rabbits several times a day. Fortunately only one length of hose in involved which I keep clear with compressed air. I liked winter a whole lot more back when I was 64.

JKJ
    i do the water heater route for the Pigeons, chickens, and turkey, the kind that goes Under the metal 5 gal waterers. But when it gets this cold forget it. I fill them with the hottest tap water and put on the heaters, maybe an hour or two. I can't complain compared to the last winter. It has mostly been warm until now. It seemed like last year it snowed every other day, they stopped even giving weather alerts unless it was a 8" storm or up.

That geothermal waterer sounds great right about now. All my neighbors are pretty much horse farms, now that's work!

She's up near Loon Mtn. Lincoln, North Woodstock

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I don't know where you daughter lives Bert, but it did get up to Zero at my house today. It was -12 at 0630 this morning wiht the wind blowing fairly briskly.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

We have had a few nice rainy days here in SoCal, but the El Nino has pretty much passed us by. Today was 91 with 16% humidity at my house. Been this way for almost two weeks. Nice top down weather, but we really NEED the rain. The jet stream has kept it mostly in the north end of the state where the Sierras really need the snowfall, so at least they are not left out.

Our weather man still says we will get a lot in March and April.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

It definitely feels like Spring here. I was hanging out in the backyard watching a movie and enjoying the nice day. i decided to take a picture of the flowers starting to bloom here:
    Camelia.jpg
    and turned around to see one of the local visitors enjoying the pool:
    Racoon.jpg

I guess I shouldn't mention the Cocktail Grapefruit on the tree before the racoon are ready for picking along with the Kiyomi Tangors on the tree beyond the racoon and a couple thousand pounds of Valencias and Washington Navels on the other side of the pool. I'll feel sorry for the people in the east getting frozen and you can feel sorry for us while our lawns are dead this summer.

No matter - sub zero this past weekend but in the 40°s tomorrow and most of the week after.
    If it isn't going to snow like a real winter so that skiing and snowshoeing out the back door are possible then
    this "option" suits me just fine.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

It is snowing, the wind is whistling, and it's 18 degrees out........tomorrow is supposed to pour rain and hit almost 60 degrees.