Thread: Steps in V carve file

Steps in V carve file

How can I avoid the steps in this file. I am using the Engraving toolpath, no depth set, 90 deg .5" bit with a .05 pass depth.
    If I leave the pass depth set to zero it will not create the toolpath. What am I doing wrong?

Rosette.jpg

rosette.cdr

Not sure if the file is attached?

Robert
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Does the V-Carve preview show the steps? I have had similar results using MDF, it might be the material crumbling as the vbit steps down.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It looks to me like you need a bigger bit so you can carve the whole side with the bit at once. .050 is an extremely shallow pass depth. Why?

Why not set you pass depth just deeper than then the total depth you want to cut so it cuts it in one pass?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

you could do a clean up pass at just a touch deeper and full depth cut

I have cut deep v-carves into maple and cherry that would not have cut very well with a single pass, even with a 1-1/2 inch diameter bit. I can't tell for sure from a photo with no scale but it looks like the whole thing could have easily been cut in one pass. I am not sure what software the OP is using. He talks about using an engraving toolpath but the photo sure looks like a V-Carve toolpath if you are talking Vectric software.