Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Vermec Sphere Cutting Jig

Ok, after checking out their site, and either overlooking it, or it just isn't there......what is the max size of spheres that can be turned?

Never mind.... i found it. 280 mm, or 11". for the large size.
    Last edited by Stephen Walker; 02-16-2016 at 10:40 AM.

Steve

Just 4 miles north and a touch east of Normal
    (check your maps)

Hey Stephen, where did you find the sphere size information on the Vermec? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Kirk View Post
    Hey Stephen, where did you find the sphere size information on the Vermec? Thanks
    If I may butt in, try this: http://www.vermec.com/vermec-sphere-turning-jig.html

I must say the Vermec has proved to be a very well-made jig. I loaned mine to a friend who has experience with several brands of sphere jigs and his comment was this was the Cadillac. Another turner did tell me he thought Carter had an improved design now but I don't know the details. The most useful comparative evaluation, of course, would come from someone with experience with both.

JKJ

I have a homemade system. It started out as a fluting jig for spindles on the lathe. But has morphed into a handful of tools. It started with seeing an Anthony Bailey and Mark Baker router jig. I modified it to cut spheres, I can use the lathe index system and cut flutes in those spheres. The cutting is all done with a trim router.

Tim, Brenden Stemp has a good video out on how to do what your inquiring about, check him out on You-tube or his home site, youturn.tv. I think you'll find the video on each site, I found it to be quite interesting.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Kirk View Post
    I realize this is an old thread above this question, but I have been wanting one of these Vermec sphere jigs for a long time and the thread got my attention. I emailed Nadine and she asked Enzo. Response was about 300mm on a 3520b.

I also looked closely at the Carter jig which claims to turn 1" to 14" on 10" to 25" lathes. Did not email or call direct for the Carter but am guessing the largest diameter would be close to the same as the Vermec on the same lathe. The Vermec looked more solid to my eye so I ordered one. Used PayPal and paid the 5% surcharge. With shipping of AU$135.00, the jig and the surcharge the cost was a couple of dollars more than the cost of the Carter without shipping, after conversion to USD.

I am now waiting to hear from Nadine with a tracking number. How long did others wait for the product to be shipped after payment ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    ...The Vermec looked more solid to my eye so I ordered one. Used PayPal and paid the 5% surcharge. With shipping of AU$135.00, the jig and the surcharge the cost was a couple of dollars more than the cost of the Carter without shipping, after conversion to USD. I am now waiting to hear from Nadine with a tracking number. How long did others wait for the product to be shipped after payment ?
    Robert,

Looking back at my records I had to wait 4-5 business days, if I remember it was while the guy finished making mine. When ready it shipped on a Thursday and was delivered the following Monday. I could hardly believe it came that fast.

JKJ

If UPS does not direct the package wrong mine should be here tomorrow. I paid on November 30th and it shipped on December 11th. United States dates not Australia. Shipped Sunday here, or Monday Australia. So Sunday to Wednesday from Brisbane to Tampa. Pretty fast in my opinion. Last week I ordered sandpaper from the Midwest that took UPS longer than that to get it to Tampa.

Tim, Brenden Stemp has a video out on using that sphere jig, and he hollows the sphere using the halfs.
    Len

FYI, I bought my Vermec sphere jig from Christian Brisepierre at Woodworkers Emporium in Las Vegas. www.woodworkersemporium.com/vermec-sphere-jig/ Right now it shows "out of stock" but he normally has them available. Give him a call at 702-871-0722.
    Way south of most everybody...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mueller View Post
    ... Woodworkers Emporium in Las Vegas.... Right now it shows "out of stock" but he normally has them available....
    Do you mean he usually has them even if the web site shows he doesn't? I intended to buy mine there but after seeing the out of stock message I decided to order direct when I found out that was possible.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Do you mean he usually has them even if the web site shows he doesn't? I intended to buy mine there but after seeing the out of stock message I decided to order direct when I found out that was possible.

JKJ
    The "Out of Stock" message on the Emporium web site is also why I went directly to the source. No, I did not call Emporium to make certain they were out of stock. I had looked at the Emporium site several times over quite a few months and always saw the out of stock message. Vermec was quick to answer my email questions and seemed like a reputable business so I went direct. Although it took longer from payment to shipping than I expected their site does say "Made to Order". I also did not ask how long between payment and shipment.

My jig did arrive today and is sitting in the shipping box beside me. The box is in good shape, that is a good sign after that long of a trip. I have had packages delivered across town, so to speak, that looked like they dragged them behind the truck on the way to my house.

When I bought mine I think maybe at the Pittsburgh Symposium Alan Trout and I were rooming together. He asked if he could take it out of the box to look at and I said sure. If you have ever seen Alan's Pro-Rail Hollowing System you know what he is capable of manufacturing. After looking the Vermec all over he stated that there is no way he could make something like this for what I paid for it, impossible! Well as far as I'm concerned it is without a doubt the best jig of its kind and is a joy to use.

I have not even mounted mine on the ways yet, but have looked it over real good. This has got to be the most solid built accessory or add on I have ever held. The parts fit together so well and operate so smoothly I had to keep trying them while sitting in my easy chair in the den. Sadly it will be few weekends before I get a chance to play with the jig on the lathe. Between a very busy period at work and other projects in progress the Vermec jig will sit in its box for a while.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you guys have had contact with anyone from Vermec lately? I sent an email (used the one on their site) inquiring about getting a sphere jig several days ago but haven't heard anything back from them.

Thanks,
    Tim