Thread: As simple as you can get - but-I'm finally up and running again

As simple as you can get - but-I'm finally up and running again

After a year + without having a workshop or CNC (I retired from the USAF we traveled the US for a year and then settled in Oak Harbor WA) I am finally up and running again. I converted an old (built in 1904) 20 x 40 granary into a workshop (I added a new roof, new electrical, new foundation structure) and have been working to get a functional shop up and running again (It is FUN to buy a shop again mostly from scratch)

For a CNC, I decided to go with a 2 x 4 CNC Shark HD and added a 1 3/4 hp porter cable router. I have been learning the differences between it and my old CNC (a Carvewright) and so far am impressed with the capability differences, though I am finding the software learning curve to be steep too.

At any rate, I turned out my first sign yesterday and though it's VERY simple, ,I hope it will be the start of many projects to come (and hopefully a part of a new business in the near future) It's a gift for a glass blowing instructor who taught my family and I a class. I'm going to give it to him this morning when we pick up our pieces from his shop.

Thanks for looking, it's nice to be making again
    Lawrence

congrats. I'm just getting ready to order my package. I'm going with a cncrouterparts one. What u running v-carve pro?

Welcome back! I love Oak Harbor. Beautiful GREEN country, I was up there once years ago.
    Nice looking sign, what software package are you designing with?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Welcome Back too !!!! Nice sign.

Al

"digitalwoodshop"
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Unless I am mistaken, I believe the "Shark" series of machines comes with Vcarve Pro. I have used that for two years now and have mastered most aspects of the software. It isn't as easy to learn as the Carvewright software but it is more versatile, IMHO. Vcarve Pro is very widely distributed. Unlike the Carvewright software, if you learn to use Vectric software, you can apply that knowledge to almost all modern machines.

Thanks all-

The Shark HD comes with Vcarve Desktop and that is what I've been using. I also have a buddy who is local and has Aspire. He brought his laptop over and I spent a couple of hours playing with it and like it a lot (and likely will be buying it- especially as I plan to do rotary work)

It is a learning curve, but time and practice are helping

Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Richards View Post
    Thanks all-

The Shark HD comes with Vcarve Desktop and that is what I've been using. I also have a buddy who is local and has Aspire. He brought his laptop over and I spent a couple of hours playing with it and like it a lot (and likely will be buying it- especially as I plan to do rotary work)

It is a learning curve, but time and practice are helping

Lawrence
    Lawrence,

Good to hear from you again. I bought Aspire V8 5 or 6 months ago. I have never regretted it and I don't think you will either. It is a little pricey but man what a program. Now I'm just limited by the hardware. Don't get me wrong, the Carvewright is a great machine and I certainly have had a lot of fun with it but now I'm looking to move on to a machine that allows me a little more control and precision. Also looking forward to dealing with a company that actually values its end users and adamantly works toward a better product with each interim release. The Carvewright Designer hasn't had any new updates in almost a year and a half and the last few releases before that concentrated on new features that they charged money for. Very few bug fixes if any and as most Carvewright users know there are MANY issues that need to be addressed.

Since you and I came from the same Carvewright beginnings I will be looking forward to seeing your projects and how you evaluate the Shark's performance. I have been looking closely at the Shopbot Buddy but I will have to wait until the piggy bank gets a little fatter. One thing is certain, unless something changes, I will be moving away from the Carvewright platform as soon as I can.
    Last edited by Steve Nelson46; 02-24-2016 at 7:26 PM.