Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Tool Box - Build Thread

Blog Entries
    Howdy Stan, glad that you are enjoying and thanks for commenting. Indeed that is accurate to my understanding as well that this is not a historic example, but an original design having taken inspiration from those toolboxes.

It's important to understand that this was originally designed by Chris Hall as a joinery study for his study group students, that is why it is so involved. I decided to pursue it, not because I needed a tool box, but because I wanted a try my hand at one of Chris' designs (and do so with his blessing). This also helps to push my skills to the next level as I work out things such as the hell tenons. I continue to push myself and stepping out of my own design, for the moment, has been incredibly helpful in pushing personal boundaries.

I work mainly in hardwoods so my junk pile is going to look a little differently from others, so I pulled some gnarly walnut out of it, not really fit for fine furniture and put it to use here. The walnut for the caps is excellent stuff, but an off cut that also happened to work out.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Howdy Stan, glad that you are enjoying and thanks for commenting. Indeed that is accurate to my understanding as well that this is not a historic example, but an original design having taken inspiration from those toolboxes.

It's important to understand that this was originally designed by Chris Hall as a joinery study for his study group students, that is why it is so involved. I decided to pursue it, not because I needed a tool box, but because I wanted a try my hand at one of Chris' designs (and do so with his blessing). This also helps to push my skills to the next level as I work out things such as the hell tenons. I continue to push myself and stepping out of my own design, for the moment, has been incredibly helpful in pushing personal boundaries.

I work mainly in hardwoods so my junk pile is going to look a little differently from others, so I pulled some gnarly walnut out of it, not really fit for fine furniture and put it to use here. The walnut for the caps is excellent stuff, but an off cut that also happened to work out.
    Brian:

Excellent. I look forward to reading about the continuing adventure.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Almeidus View Post
    Always a joy to follow your projects Brian.
    +1. It sure is!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Cruising along with part III. Got the top panel finished and ready for battens, along with quite a bit of the mortising.

https://brianholcombewoodworkerblog....lbox-part-iii/

Fantastic, love the book match on the grain...

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents!

How does it look with the sap in the center instead of on the edges? I think that coloration is even more appealing than the cathedrals

Fantastic thread Brian - not realizing that Chris Hall had one this years ago - I wanted to challenge myself to build a Japanese tool box without any nails. Your work will give me that push to get started.
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

Blog Entries
    Thank you! Doug that is awesome, glad to be an inspiration! Check out the original plans on Chris' forum, I think if you build one, working off of the original template is a good idea. He also planned out trays for tools and kinda walks through planning around the tools that you have to fit into the box.

Prashun, I agree, it always seems that the area where the two combine is always very interesting. The caps are basically that spot. I have posted this photo up yet but just got finished with this yesterday.

All sort of interesting stuff going on there and that tiny spalt at the edge is really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post
    Stan, is at least the style of the "japanese toolboxes" commonly made here true to form?
    Yes, I believe most of them are. The way the lid fits to the box, and general dimensions are the key points IMO. The ones made by non-Japanese however clearly ignore the primary goal of light weight.

If you took a fancy toolbox like Brian's to a jobsite, the guys would snigger at you behind you back.

Actually, the last few years, most guys that obviously work construction and carry their tools to the jobsite seem to be using purpose-built rolling suitcases. I have one by Makita that is very convenient. And as I said before, high-impact plastic 道具箱 toolboxes have become more common than the wooden ones.

But Brian's purpose is not to build a traditional toolbox, and he will not use it on jobsites here, and no one will make fun of him. I admire the beautiful work he is doing, and look forward eagerly to the next chapters in the story. I must get myself some black ninja pajamas with rhinestones to get into the mood...

Stan
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 02-25-2016 at 7:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Stan! I'll have another update going up soon.

My tools in general would probably be fine, aside from the rosewood and ebony handles which would probably be considered less than serious choices. Presumably there are style choices that differ greatly between carpenters and interior carpenters and shoji or furniture makers. Also good chance that most of them are on the conservative side.

My personal ideal is to set my workshop up similarly to a sashimono-shi but with some obvious westernization (workbench and western planes) Most of their tools are made immediately available, being hung on the wall.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 02-25-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Morning Gents. I've got part IV ready. Working through Jigoku Hozo in this part, along with capping the ends of the box.

https://brianholcombewoodworkerblog....olbox-part-iv/

That's a cool hammer. Is that from Stu?

Very nice work as always Brian. So what are you going to grace us with next? Oops, guess you still have the lid to do so I'm jumping the gun.

Blog Entries
    Thanks fellas! Haha, Tony, jumping the gun a bit I have plenty of work coming up, some cabinetry and possibly some tables.....and some drywall work and painting, lol.

Jeffrey, that one is from So Yamashita (Japan-Tool). Tenryu brand, it's not laminated but differentially hardened (hard faces, soft center).

Blog Entries
    Good evening! I have part 5 ready, after many, many, many wedges....

https://brianholcombewoodworkerblog....oolbox-part-v/