Thread: New small commercial shop design help sought!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New small commercial shop design help sought!

Many here like to talk shop and come up with great ideas, so thought I would see what you have to say about designing a small commercial woodworking facility.

I am planning to build with ICF construction. I want the sound dampening and strength vs other methods. We seem to get a lot of tornadoes and straight line winds in my area. The additional cost is minimal and I think it will speed up construction time.

My main predicament is whether I should put in one or two large garage doors. With the drawing below, I have one. The two garage doors inside are fire proof roll up doors, not standard garage doors. These need to be in place to avoid having to install a sprinkler system.

BGS Designs LLC floorplan.jpg BGS Designs LLC building.jpg

So, the large room to the farthest right is the office/showroom and conference room. Walls will be drawn later.

Next room to the left is going to be the hardwoods shop. I will make doors, face frames and passage doors in here.

To the left is going to be the panel shop. I am shopping for CNC machines and will install one here. Cabinet final assembly will happen here.

The room on the far left is the finish room. Finished work will be stored in here until delivery.

So, is the one door to the outside enough, or would it be much better to have two, one in each shop? I hate to lose the wall space for the second garage door. I am having trouble making this last decision. Time to decide and move forward.

Looking forward to any advise and thoughts anyone would like to share.

Thanks - Greg Stahl
    Last edited by Gregory Stahl; 02-17-2016 at 8:14 PM.