Thread: Valentines Flowers gone Bad...

Valentines Flowers gone Bad...

I tried to do something for wifey on Valentines Day as I was away. So I had some flowers sent.

Good = points.

She put them on the table, on a mat, and today she moved them to set the table for family dinner, and things started going downhill...

Table.jpg

Table 1.jpg

Table 2.jpg

The vase had a crack in the bottom which nobody noticed, so it leaked onto the table ;(

I suspect it is only a oak veneer top, and that the substrate underneath has soaked up the water and did the swelling. Not sure about the stain.

So points from flowers have been replaced by not so many points. She is going down to the florist that delivered them so we'll see. I WOULDN'T want to be on the back side of that counter!

If they don't do anything, is the table wrecked? My first thought was an iron - good thought or not?

Appreciate any information or comments.

Thanks.

klw
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

If they won't do anything? I'm sorry but this is what's wrong with society today. No one can accept responsibility for anything, someone else has to be blamed. The vases flowers are delivered in are not exactly thick glass, it could have cracked at anytime.

If the substrate is particle board, then heating it probably won't help. It shouldn't hurt to try, but swelling n the particleboard tha I am familiar with I usually permanent.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Look at the underside of the table. If it is particle board, you could try clamping a flat piece of wood with a linen towel and layer of wax paper on top of the towel over the spot for a few days to reduce the swelling. You might need to use cauls to span the table top. This will also hold the veneer tight to the surface as it dries out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Looks like a great opportunity to learn a new skill set if you are not already skilled in veneer inlays. Maybe as an idea, a nice rose inlay that would add a new look to the table. Think of the story you could build as you entertain. "let me tell you about this".

Perry

I think the best you could hope for from the florist is to reimburse you the cost of the flowers. Sorry things went south for you.

I agree with Perry, looks like a perfect place for a veneer inlay.

Or, an excuse to build a new and better table.

I appreciate the comments. Had hoped the florist would take a bit of responsibility - the base is at least 1/4 in thick. Not a lightweight container.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

If the frame...legs and aprons.. are solid, lay up some matching stock and build a new top. It sounds like a design opportunity for a woodworker. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    If the frame...legs and aprons.. are solid, lay up some matching stock and build a new top. It sounds like a design opportunity for a woodworker. :-)
    A solid wood top would be a nice improvement. This happened to my wife and I with an antique table given to our family by an aunt. Cat knocked over a vase with flowers in it and it buckled most of the veneer off of the top. Solid wood table replaced it....but my wife is still sick at heart about the other table ten years later.

I repaired a veneer table before. It's a good amount of work, but I don't think my effort was a waste. My table was well dried then glue injected under the swelling, then weights placed on top. It was an antique decorative table hubby wanted 'saved'. If no sentimental attachment is involved with your table, I'd replace the top or do inlay as suggested.

The darkening could be caused by the 'food' for the flowers in the water.

Best option is probably a new top, as has been suggested.

I have seen articles that describe cutting a matching piece of veneer and inlaying it. But that looks like a large area in a prominent spot. Not sure I could make the grain match and seam lines work.

Inlaying a pattern, etc would be very neat, if you want to try your hand at it. I'd buy a book and try the easiest pattern in it.

I can't quite tell from the pic, but is this the center section of a "leafed" table? If so, you might be able to flatten/fill the substrate and veneer over the entire center section. Veneer is very thin and you might not (readily) notice the difference in height between the leaves and the center section. You'd have to think through how to attach the veneer to the undamaged part of the surface and how to keep it from getting beat up around the edges of the veneer.

Good luck Keith!
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 02-20-2016 at 1:20 PM.