Thread: 600 grit CBN wheel burrs

600 grit CBN wheel burrs

I recently got one of the 600 grit wheels from Ken Rizza at Woodturning wonders. Curiosity is dangerous. Anyway, main reason was to see what if any differences it makes with my cutting tools, mostly scrapers and gouges. Skews??? Well, maybe eventually.

I never hone my gouges. I have tried a few times, and just couldn't see or feel any difference. I tried my old Tormek, and found pretty much the same thing. I have heard all sorts of claims about edges lasting longer both from finer and coarser grits. Never could notice it. With the 600 grit CBN, pretty much the same thing. There may be a little difference, but not much.

That leaves scrapers, my go to tool. I have played around a lot with 80 and 180 grit CBN wheel burrs, and there is little difference, but maybe the 80 grit is better for heavy bowl roughing. No difference I could tell with shear scraping. I have honed burrs on my scrapers, and hand burnished burrs as well, and again, I really couldn't tell much of a difference. I have been playing around with the 600 grit burr for a bit, and there seems to be a big difference. I got almost glass smooth surfaces on some myrtle, which is a bit difficult to do with gouges or scrapers. I took a highly figured maple baseball blank that was tearing out pretty bad with my skew and roughing gouges, but I could take it down to almost glass with the shear scrape, and side by side with 80 and 180 grit burrs, it was cleaner. So, much more experimenting is needed, and perhaps some one with a zoom lens for video and still shots. The 600 grit burr does not make a good burr for heavy bowl roughing. I think mostly it clogs up before it goes dull, or there just isn't enough burr to take off heavy shavings.

This leaves the upside down burr. Some do sharpen their scrapers upside down so the wheel drags the burr off the top side. Jimmy Clewes is one. It is supposed to be sharper than standard burrs. What little playing with it I have done indicates that it is pretty sharp. I can't tell if it is sharper than standard burrs though. For sure, it isn't as good for heavy roughing. Now, I have to try it with the 600 grit wheel. My current theory is that dragging the burr off of the top side creates more of a wire type burr that easily breaks off, while when you sharpen the scraper right side up, it almost burnishes the burr onto the scraper by pushing into the wheel. More testing......

robo hippy

Curiosity is dangerous...

As well as expensive...

Seriously, however, appreciate you 'beta testing' the 600. I'd like to make the jump to CBN's later this year but it's a costly investment when my 'stone' wheels are still in good order. Cheers...John

...aaaaaaaaaaaand now i've gotta buy another tool... thanks Reed!

Any update Reed? I have been talking to Ken about options etc... I am tempted by the 600 grit for putting a fine edge on both the skew and the bowl gouge. But if there is no real difference on the bowl gouge then i still wonder about the skew. But perhaps the 350 is fine enough...

Joshua

Joshua,
    Well, nothing definite. I have a special camera lens type thing that can show blood cells pretty good sized, and will be using that to take some pictures of edges and the wheels, and the different grits, but that is another month or two or three down the road. I don't know about the 320 wheel as I have never used one, at least not yet. For sure, there is a difference in how they cut between the 180 and 600, with the 180 doing well for finish and roughing cuts, but the 600 only for finish cuts. I may end up with a 350 (not 320 like abrasives??) just to see.

I also will be testing out the lapping fluid to see how well it will clean off loaded wheels since the micro lens will be able to show it. Load up an old wheel with aluminum, copper, brass, carbon steel, and maybe some thing else, then sharpen a scraper on it, with and without the lapping fluid.

robo hippy

Joshua...I went with two of Ken's CBNs a while back, a 180 for my scrapers and 320 for my skew and gouges. I find that the 320 puts a keen edge on my tools though I won't pretend to be an expert.

I'm doing the opposite lately, switched back to a lower grit (80 CBN) for the scrapers. 80 grit definitely roughs better. I haven't been doing much regular scraping on dry wood so I can't comment on that, but the shear scraping I've done with the 80 grit burrs seems to have been fine.