Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 upgrade advice wanted

Question Windows 10 upgrade advice wanted

I haven't used Windows in a long time and want to upgrade an installation of Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10. I was formerly proficient with Windows XP, 2000 and Windows servers.

I've checked online, but would like to hear from those who have done this.

Is Win 10 difficult to install over win 7? Any pitfalls?

I have upgraded 6 different computers from win 7 pro to win 10. Pretty straight forward. A bit time consuming, though. For the most part I like win 10, and will not even be thinking about going back!

Why would you want to do this? Is the Windows 7 Pro installed on consumer stuff or is it actually a business computer?

Do you understand that the higher end computers like HP z440, z640 & Z840 ship absolutely NONE with Windows 10? I'm in the process of setting up my new z640 for myself right now.

Blog Entries
    I installed 10 as soon as it came and like it very much. Not one problem.

I installed 10 over 7 and no problems.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I wish I didn't install windows 10 on one of my computers as some of the software did not work correctly.

If I were upgrading a PC I used, I'd download Macrium Reflect Free and create an image of the Win 7 install before doing anything with Windows 10. I've played with Windows 10 enough to get an idea of where things are and what's changed. I don't use Windows day to day but may have to help somebody who does. 10 seems to be reasonably well regarded except for the privacy aspects. I've read Microsoft is installing the same snoopware on 7 & 8.x as updates. Don't know how true that is.

Oh, and the version of Windows 10 that most of us will be using, we can't disable updates. I think Win 10 Pro users can delay updates for a period of time but can't refuse them outright. Enterprise versions have more control over what gets installed.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-21-2016 at 8:24 AM.

Blog Entries
    I've upgraded two computers to windows 10. One was running Windows 8 which was awful. I've had no problems with that PC. The second machine was running windows 7 and the only problem I've had with that computer is the fact that it is a laptop so it isn't running all the time. What I've discovered is that if you start up your computer and log in to your account if you don't wait until Windows completes 100% of the startup routine that sometimes windows explorer gets lost and the start button quits working. What this means is that you can only access the Apps that are in your quick start bar or showing on your desk top. The only way to turn off the computer is CTRL+ALT+Delete to open the task manager. Sometimes rebooting the computer will fix the problem, but other times you have to reinstall the windows apps.

If you wait until the boot process is complete Windows 10 works just like Windows 7. The download and install takes several hours.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've done updates on 3 - 2 desktops and an IBM laptop. On the desktops, all went well. On the laptop, since it had almost no programs running, I did a clean install of 10. The install went well, and the laptop ran well for 2 days. Then MS pushed updates to it, including driver updates. That's when things went off the rails. After dealing with MS and uninstalling the drivers they pushed, I was back up and running again. Until, that it, the next batch of driver pushes. After that, I went back to 7. MS has never had a good history of driver updates. In the past, though, with 7, I could make sure that the driver updates did not get downloaded and installed. I get driver updates if I need them from the manufacturer of the hardware. With MS pushing updates now, I'll stick with 7 on the laptop for as long as I can. So far, the updates to the desktops have behaved.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks, everybody. This is for a laptop, and I'm having misgivings about continuing.

Is the install particularly perilous on a laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    If I were upgrading a PC I used, I'd download Macrium Reflect Free and create an image of the Win 7 install before doing anything with Windows 10. I've played with Windows 10 enough to get an idea of where things are and what's changed. I don't use Windows day to day but may have to help somebody who does. 10 seems to be reasonably well regarded except for the privacy aspects. I've read Microsoft is installing the same snoopware on 7 & 8.x as updates. Don't know how true that is.

Oh, and the version of Windows 10 that most of us will be using, we can't disable updates. I think Win 10 Pro users can delay updates for a period of time but can't refuse them outright. Enterprise versions have more control over what gets installed.
    I did that and Macrium had a corrupt file when I tried to restore it

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    Thanks, everybody. This is for a laptop, and I'm having misgivings about continuing.

I did two laptops without any problems.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I upgraded my Dell laptop back in August. No issues until after the November major update. Since then I have a printer driver (Brother) that won't install. Since the printer is still working I just ignore the driver update.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post

I, so far, have avoided going to windows 10 for several reasons. MS has removed some of the control users have when it comes to updates. The are all automatic now. I see no reason to "upgrade" as my windows 7 works perfectly well. I put windows 7 in the same category as windows me.

Blog Entries
    The success reported will vary with the diversity of the platforms upgraded. Assuming you have a good reason to move to Windows 10, we average total success with about half the machines that pass the "compatibility test". General failures are video and sound cards and older wireless cards. 2- 3 year old stuff does well with the success curve decreasing with age of components/technology despite being tested as OK.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler