Thread: Simplified Asbestos removal

Simplified Asbestos removal

With all the talk about how expensive it is to have Asbestos removal on a house done, why can't they go the simple route ?

I.E.

Either wrapping the hot water boiler pipes in the Basement that have the Asbestos insulation on them. or spraying those Asbestos insulation wrapped pipes with a couple of coats of fast drying Polyurethane and then just cut out those sections of cast iron pipe and then replaced with new pipe.

Of course, the Asbestos would have to be disposed in a certified landfill, but doing the above seems to be the quickest and cheapest way of doing it. I don't see how Asbestos fibers could get through 2 or 3 coats of fast dry Poly.

Blog Entries
    But when you cut the pipe, you have to cut through the asbestos insulation as well, releasing fibers into the air. However if you keep it wet, the fibers won't be released into the air. That being said, when I was 16 I had to rip multiple 4x8 sheets of asbestos cement board into 2 foot strips with a circ saw. 52 years later I am no worse for the wear. So far...
    NOW you tell me...

Section that I found, and I am not 100% certain it is Asbestos, just guessing that is; is about 4 feet in length. Bare pipe before and after the 4 foot section. Why couldn't I do as above, and cut the pipe off about 12 Inches before and 12 inches past that insulation ? The insulation would not be cut through in any way, just removing that whole section of pipe.

When cutting asbestos covered pipe, the asbestos is removed at the cut point using proper techniques. Clarence, you can make those cuts.

With all the pipes, duct work, and various insulation I was exposed to, I developed asbestosis. Not fun.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

It's been long enough now and the techniques have become standardized and commonplace enough that good quality professional abatement is no longer such a difficult and expensive undertaking as it was when the asbestos scares first began. Let the pros do it, they'll be in and out in an hour for that size job and you'll have the piece of paper to satisfy any future buyer of your house that it was done correctly by someone certified (and you won't have to engage in that most hated of household tasks, plumbing) .

I agree with the others. Your health is much more important than saving some money on the removal. Get it inspected to determine if it is asbestos first, however.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

As long as asbestos isn't friable it's harmless. So if you're not cutting it like in your example above, I say go for it and save some money. Wear a mask just in case something shakes loose, but if you use a pipe cutter and not an angle grinder or sawzall there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

A co-worker of mine died about five years from cancer caused by asbestos exposure. He never worked with asbestos, but in his youth he lived in Utah near an asbestos mine. Apparently he inhaled enough asbestos to eventually kill him in his 40s or early 50s.

Strangely enough, the Minnesota Dept of Health has instructions for homeowners on doing their own removal of asbestos floor tiles.

Blog Entries
    Removal and disposal of asbestos is not a DIY project. Most municipalities have laws on how it can be dealt with and there are hefty fines if you don't comply. You can't just throw it in the trash and send it to the local landfill. There are valid reasons for those rules. In addition if you know your house has asbestos you are required to disclose that on the homeowners disclosure form when you sell your house.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-25-2016 at 8:32 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute