Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crosscuting 24" wide Oak plywood

Crosscuting 24" wide Oak plywood

I have been making all sorts of one of a kind furniture pieces in my home work shop. Each time I run into something new that I don't have the proper tool for I research the best fit and buy a quality new or used tool. Not the very best industrial 3 phase machine available, but a good quality machine. I now have a reasonably good tool selection that still includes a 10" Craftsman Radial Arm Saw I bought new in the early 1970's. It was my first piece of equipment and I made all cuts on it. Made sort of okay furniture on it. It takes a lot of "tuning" to get good results from it though.
    Over time my quality requirements got more refined and so did my equipment needs. I have always used my RAS to crosscut boards and plywood and take the time setting the saw to be sure it cuts exactly 90* so my fit is as perfect as possible. It drives me crazy to fight through any plywood over 16" wide though as I must flip it over to finish cutting through the overall width. Miss-alignment and splinters on the good side are just not acceptable any more. I do use a Freud 80 tooth crosscut blade for good cuts on the first 16" pass but on a 24" table top the last 8" is not so good.
    Sorry for the long lead in to my request but thought it may help explain what I am looking for.

What type of saw is available that will cut a clean, accurate 90* crosscut on hardwood boards and plywood tops at least 24" wide.

Thanks for some ideas, it's time for a change!

Festool track saw. You have to accurately measure where to cut but the cut is good.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Makita, Dewalt and possibly Grizzly track saws will also do the job if you get sticker shock with the Festool.

I have the Grizzly track saw. With modifications and a new blade, it's a great tool for the money. Festool is still nicer, but way more expensive.

Interesting, I didn't think a hand held circular saw could make splinter free cross cuts.
    So do you mark length, use a square to indicate 90* and clamp the track to the wood?
    Any way to make repetitive length cuts ?

I use a shop-built cross-cut sled on my table saw. I made it 25" wide for exactly this purpose.

But if you don't have a table saw, a track saw is probably your next best solution.

I use a panel cutting sled with my tablesaw, ala Norm.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

my festool track saw has a better x-cut quality than any other tool I have including a sliding table TS with RidgeCarbide finish blade & new ZCI. I have a large format MFT that can quickly & safely x-cut to a perfect 90 things up to 40" wide and with the flip stop do so to a repeatable, precise length . I am not suggesting it is reasonably priced but that is not what was asked

Marty - Cody, I do have a good table saw, but no sled. I have about 48" clear from the TS blade to the RAS table. Have any info on making a good sled?

Erik, What is a large format MFT ?

Another happy Festool user here .
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Large crosscut sled. Built for a specific project but, years later is still in use for those occasional larger panels.

Ad a little support:

TS-Outfeed (5).jpg

Banzai!

TS-Outfeed (6).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    I am not suggesting it is reasonably priced but that is not what was asked
    If price is not a consideration, then I recommend a new beam saw. It is made for the purpose. In that case, the Festool would sound like just a cheap little hobbiest tool. I just want people to know that there are viable alternatives to what Mike Henderson suggested, more and less expensive.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 02-22-2016 at 5:08 PM.

I love that infeed dickie, Glen. Thanks. I'm making one today.

If you already own a TS then the answer is pretty easy, build a cross cut sled to whatever size you need, tune it once to cut dead accurate 90 deg cuts, and it will stay that way forever. I built mine when I made my kitchen cabinets over 20 years ago, but it still cuts perfectly square and I use it for any crosscut that my RAS can't handle. It can handle crosscuts about 36" wide.

IMG_4442.JPG

The design is by the late Jere Cary in his book about building kitchen cabinets.

John

I don't have any new saw recommendations, but have you considered backing the cut with a sacrificial piece to minimize tearout? If you're in the middle of a project it might minimize tearout to get you by.