Thread: Stickley 746

Stickley 746

Hi all!

A newbie here, not just to Sawmill Creek, but relatively new to woodworking as well. It seems like there's a great community here, and I've had some help from members already getting some great supplies! Anyway, I'm hoping someone might be able to help in scaling down a plan I have to yield a smaller table. I've seen some useful articles on scaling plans from a photo, but I'm more looking for general design advice on scaling down, or any specific advice on scaling Stickley, A&C or Mission style furniture.

Anyway, I'd like to end up with something similar to the below table (Stickley 746):

(23H x 21 1/2W x 26D):

https://www.stickley.com/OurProducts...ission&finish=

From the table in this plan (27 x 29 x 29):

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/412...FQ6LaQodGwkK8g

The table in the above plan is the closest thing I could find, and seem like a very slightly larger version of the bigger table (No. 747) in the same Stickley line as the small one I want to make (746).

I'm not necesarily looking for my end table to be an exact copy of the small Stickley table, but I'd like to avoid my outcome being too bulky. Is there anything you'd recommend against scaling down a bit (legs?)? If it's helpful, here are the dims of the components for the larger table:

Legs: 1 1/2 x 26 1/4 x 1 1/2

Top: 29 x 29 x 3/4

Corbels 1 5/8 x 13 x 3/4

Upper Rails: 3 x 24 1/2 x 3/4

Lower Rails 2 3/4 x 26 1/2 x 34

Lower Shelf 20 x 20 3/4 x 3/4

Spindles 1/2 x 18 3/4 x 1/2

That's a bit of info, but I'd very appreciative of any advice anyone is willing to offer!

Cheers,

Matt
    Last edited by Matt Borman; 02-22-2016 at 9:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    I suggest you make a down and dirty prototype using BORG lumber to determine the scale of the piece.
    After your design is complete, make the real table. You will probably make significant changes, I know I would.

Blog Entries
    I'm a bit confused. What are the overall dimensions of the table you want to end up with?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I suggest you download Sketchup and model what you want.

They have an encyclopedia table that is close to what you want. You can download the plans and modify them as desired.

This can be done free.

That's a gorgeous table.

Thanks for the suggestions. I made a few versions in sketchup and a mockup with some various widths for the aprons. I toyed with a few possibilities on each version and here's where I stand now. The table top brings goes to the dimensions noted in the Stickley catalog (23h x 21.5 wide x 26 deep).

Mockup - 2.75" wide upper aprons. 2.25" lower rails.

IMG_4332.jpgIMG_4331.jpg

I thought the mockup might have been a little too square, so within sketchup I shortened the rails going across the face and the back by 1/2 inch as well as the lower shelf to make the base less wide. I also deviated from the mockup above by thinning the aprons and rails to 2.5". It looks a little lighter to me, more vertical, but maybe it's still a little too square/heavy. Thoughts?

Sketchup: 2.5" wide aprons, 2.5" lower rails,
    746 2.jpg

When I shorten the front/rear aprons/lower shelf, I'm left with an overhang of around 2 inches on each side. Does that seem like too much? Are there standards that probably shouldn't exceed?

I'm new to this exercise, so if anyone has any particular sources that might be useful on designing furniture, balance, or other words I don't know how to use properly, I'm all ears ; ). And if you'd like the sketchup model (it doesn't have any joinery done) for your use or to provide me with sage advice, just message me.
    Last edited by Matt Borman; 04-06-2016 at 2:07 PM.