Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodcraft Bench Chisels

Last year I purchased the 6 pc WoodRiver chisel set with the Bubinga handles. I like them very much however I regret buying the 6 pc set. As others have mentioned, I mostly use 1/4", 3/8", and 3/4" chisels, the 5/8" chisel I could do without, it never gets used. A 4 pc set would have served me just as well and saved me a few dollars. The alloy used in these chisels (in my experience) is slightly brittle out of the box, once the chisel is sharpened a few times that brittleness is lessened. I also purchased a set of Narex chisels (2 sets actually) and like these chisels as well, great value for the money and these chisels have a nice slim cross section.

JJ

I've got the new Stanley Sweetheart chisels, and I've liked them just fine. You can sometimes find them used on Amazon under the Amazon Warehouse Deals, which can discount them a bit.
    "I am always doing what I can't do yet in order to learn how to do it."
    - Van Gogh, 1885

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

And my three most commonly used sizes are 1/8", 3/16" (tails) and 3/4" (pins and general).

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, always said your work is much finer than mine! How have you been?

T.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Good Tony! Are you running out of daughters or any more weddings in the air?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Good Tony! Are you running out of daughters or any more weddings in the air?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Two married, each with boys and each with girls on the way. Daughter #3 just turned 16 and the other day, had a boy pick her up for a date and it starts all over.

On of the grandsons has really taken to "working" with a hamer and screwdriver. Mom says nothing sharp yet! I would bet your mind could come with a hypothesis and scientific experiments to test sharpening methods?
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Your grandson must have your genes! As yet, my son has not shown any interest since he starred in a review of a block plane. Perhaps one day ...

Best regards

Derek

Thanks everyone for the advice on some bench chisels! I ended up with two White Steel Mastumura chisels, 3/8" and 3/4". So far I like them a lot. Same comments that others have made above: the 3/4" chipped a tiny piece of of the corner, they sharpen easily but needed the back worked on, loose ferrule, but I also live in a very dry climate and I am accustomed to such wood movement. A few strokes of the mallet and the ferrule is already starting to tighten. They were lighter than I expected, but then I am used to a plastic handle in my old Marples chisels.

I grabbed a couple small pieces of scrap and tried chopping out some dovetails to try out the chisels. Anyone see the glaring error in the pin board?

20160313_220136.jpg
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Blog Entries
    Anyone see the glaring error in the pin board?
    Edge grain instead of end grain?

It looks better than some of my glaring dovetails.

So, what is the error?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Edge grain instead of end grain?

It looks better than some of my glaring dovetails.

So, what is the error?

jtk

You got it - edge grain vs. end grain. Bugger to cut!!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll