Thread: Rigid Lathe

Rigid Lathe

I'm heading down to check out a
    Rigid ( i think it's a LW1200) lathe someone has on Craigs list and he is asking $250. I've been nterested in a lathe for a while and was wondering if this was worth the money and is it a good lathe in general. I can't figure out how to upload a picture to the forum with my phone or else I would..

Thanks!

If its the 'tube' lathe, tailstock glides on a 2 inch tube, i would find something else. Its overpriced at $250. I bought one for $75, it was a Duracraft, but these lathes were sold under lots of brandnames. At $75, it was an ok starter lathe, but it leaves lots to be desired when compared to modern lathes.

The only Ridgid lathe I have seen is a single tube lathe. It probably cost around $250 new and would be way overpriced to pay $250 for a new one.

The problem with tube style lathes is that every time you adjust the tailstock, it needs to be re-aligned. Also a single tube is going to flex a lot, limiting you to spindles and pens. It would be frustrating every time you use it. I would keep looking for other used lathes.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Drinkut View Post
    If its the 'tube' lathe, tailstock glides on a 2 inch tube, i would find something else. Its overpriced at $250. I bought one for $75, it was a Duracraft, but these lathes were sold under lots of brandnames. At $75, it was an ok starter lathe, but it leaves lots to be desired when compared to modern lathes.
    Steve, It was in fact the 2 inch tube and heeded your advice. Thank you so much. It saved me $250. The guy a Delta X5 band saw sitting in the corner and I offered him $200 for it and he said DEAL! I almost fell over (on the inside). Its practically brand new. Plus he threw in 7 extra blades of all sizes! For a $100 bucks extra he threw in a Rigid Oscillating / Belt sander. No lathe but holy crap, I got myself a Delta band saw!

photo-delta.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    The only Ridgid lathe I have seen is a single tube lathe. It probably cost around $250 new and would be way overpriced to pay $250 for a new one.

The problem with tube style lathes is that every time you adjust the tailstock, it needs to be re-aligned. Also a single tube is going to flex a lot, limiting you to spindles and pens. It would be frustrating every time you use it. I would keep looking for other used lathes.

Steve
    Steve, He said he paid $800 bucks for it but I figured that couldnt be right. Thank you so much!

Glad you got a good deal...hope you find a better lathe.

This lathe has a 1/2 HP, 3/4 x 16 TPI Spindle with a #1 Morse Taper and the lowest speed of 875 -- No power, you can't turn a nice size bowl and you are limited in what after market accessories you can get. I 'd pass on this one even if I was free.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fisicaro View Post
    Steve, It was in fact the 2 inch tube and heeded your advice. Thank you so much. It saved me $250. The guy a Delta X5 band saw sitting in the corner and I offered him $200 for it and he said DEAL! I almost fell over (on the inside). Its practically brand new. Plus he threw in 7 extra blades of all sizes! For a $100 bucks extra he threw in a Rigid Oscillating / Belt sander. No lathe but holy crap, I got myself a Delta band saw!
    It sounds like you got a good deal on the bandsaw. The Ridgid sander is one of their gems and is worth $100 in good shape.

I can't believe that he would have paid $800 for the lathe, but I seem to recall seeing a Craftsman monotube lathe at a Sears store a long time ago with a $1000 price tag.

Steve

All i want to do with the lathe is turn some knobs for hand planes. I started makiing totes and would love the have the ability to make a set. I don't want to turn bowls, half a tree trunks or anything like that. Do you guys have a suggestion on what would be best?

check out the wood lathes at 'grizzly.com'. There are several small lathes there.

I just sold a tube lathe for 100.00 bucks with stand, light, easy rest, lh and rh face plates 9 turning chisels, and other stuff and was happy it was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fisicaro View Post
    All i want to do with the lathe is turn some knobs for hand planes.
    I said something very similar to that (although my intended purpose was not knobs) when I bought my first lathe. Ha! Then I got totally sucked into the vortex.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.