Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decent shoulder plane for the money?

Decent shoulder plane for the money?

Looking to add a shoulder plane to my small arsenal of planes. Any recommendations with out having to break the bank? I will
    add I don't want one that takes 2 hours of tuning to make it work either......I know, I want my cake....
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I've been very happy with the large shoulder plane that I got from the good folks at Lee Valley. I suspect that may edge into "break the bank" territory but I am confident I won't ever be looking to replace it unless it gets stolen. You would likely pay slightly more for something comparable from Lie-Nielsen. I like having the adjustable knobs on the LV, but you may prefer something more traditional.

You might find something more attractive price-wise on Ebay but if it is not square you may be looking at a lot of haggling with the seller and/or more tuning than you'd really like. Good, cheap, minimal fettling... I think you probably only get to choose two. Good luck with your hunt.

The Lee Valley Veritas plane seems to be the cats Pajamas. I had a chance to try it at the Columbus woodworking show, I plan to get it when finances allow. The LN plane is not as nice ergonomically IMHO.

Best bet for a cheap shoulder plane would be to find a wooden one at an antique mall and tune it if you have minimal finances....otherwise...i think Lee Valley is pretty much the only game in town. The Wood River plane is almost as much money and is not as nice IMHO.

Jeff,
    You can't go wrong with LV. I have both LV and LN but like the LV better. If you lived closer I'd let you take them home to try.
    Chet

Blog Entries
    I will add I don't want one that takes 2 hours of tuning to make it work either.
    This pretty much puts you in the boat paddling up the LN or LV Creek.

Best bet for a cheap shoulder plane would be to find a wooden one at an antique mall and tune it if you have minimal finances.
    Tuning will likely be needed. From my experience a wooden rabbet plane is a lot different than a shoulder plane. My old Stanley #93 needed some tuning but is a good plane in its own right. If you were willing to do some tuning and carful buying they are an alternative. I have used some of the high end shoulder planes and can attest to them being worth the added cost as compared to an old Stanley.

If at all possible try to get your hands on both the LN and the LV before purchase. I do not believe one is superior to the other, it is how they feel and fit in your hand. That is a very important feature in a tool you will buy to be using.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jeff-
    I got the medium shoulder from Veritas. I wish I had the larger one. Don't skimp on this tool.

I tried. I got a bull nose plane - even a Veritas bullnose plane. Useless in my hands.

I got a Hock shoulder plane kit. Hated it. Hard to adjust and not heavy enough (in my hands).

The Veritas shoulder plane performs as hyped. Not wanting to 'break the bank' I bought the medium instead of the large, and now wish I had the large.

My favorite bell and whistle on this is the precision depth adjuster. But the real beauty is that it's heavy and square and has a great blade. It cuts with minimal effort, which makes it possible to gently and accurately tweak my joints.

Blog Entries
    Unlike Prashun, I prefer the medium size shoulder plane. I have the LN and see no need for another.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I have the LV medium and like it. Never tried the LV large, however.

In any case, the LV is a lot more comfortable to use than the LN.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I tried. I got a bull nose plane - even a Veritas bullnose plane. Useless in my hands.
    +1 on this. The bull nose is only seems to be good in places where it has something on which to register behind the blade.

Mine is the Stanley #90. Actually there are two Stanley #90s in my shop one is a bull nosed shoulder plane. The other is a wooden, skew bladed, metal wrapped rabbet plane that is great for many things, but not quite what one would want in a shoulder plane. Though it is very good at trimming tenon cheeks, in fact better than a shoulder plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Cost me $10, Garage sale...
    shoulder plane.jpg
    Works for me.

Ok so I'm leaning toward a LN, is the PM-V11 blade material worth the extra $10?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I have both the large and medium Veritas shoulder planes and don't regret buying them for a minute. I also don't regret spending a little more for the PM-V11 steel.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Blog Entries
    I bought the little Preston style spokeshave when it was first offered. It came with the PM-v11 blade and I am amazed at how long it has gone without need of sharpening.

jtk

I have the small LV. It works just fine for the stuff I build.

I've got a large LN and a 1/2" LV: both are excellent! Compared to my woodies, they are both much better--but the wood shoulder plane does fit your quest for "decent."