Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jewelry Box

Thanks Glenn...really appreciate your comments..

I'm thinking you need to spend more time on boxes. That design is just excellent!

That is really nice woodworking. Great to have a small project to do nice detailing and be able to focus on the wood grain. Real tactile - I can feel those roundovers. How do the chimes work? When its opened?
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Thanks Art and John....John the music box movement has a small wire sticking up from it (if you enlarge the last photo you can see it across the yellow coil on the right)..it stops the music when the lid is closed and releases it when the lid is opened...(I didn't realize until recently that if you click on the picture to enlarge it you can click on it again and then click on it again to get the full size look)
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 03-20-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Very nice work Barry,

The wood is an excellent choice, its unique color/tone is perfect for such a beautiful box.

This reminds me of a heart shaped jewelry box made from Pink Ivory (awesome wood - I have a small pc) that was in FWW back cover or one of the Design Books. Have you ever seen it? The dividers inside were freeform like yours. I don't know where he got it, but the wood was almost fuscia red in color.

This inspires me to make one for my wife. Maybe the lid in bright yellow African Satinwood with Makassar ebony case.

And yes, actually just three days ago I discovered that you can enlarge pics by clicking a second time on them - nice feature.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

I've looked at it several times ,it has a lot of apeal. The wood is so colorful it reminds me of a Deco period plastic box. And the leather gives it a "nice touch".

Very nice. The wood is beautiful, I don't remember seeing Dogwood lumber before but you sure did it justice in that cool box.

Thanks Keith, Mel, Jon and John....your comments are much appreciated. John...I have not seen the issue of FWW that you are referring to......

Nicely done, Barry! I'll echo the other comments here on the nice touch on the divider and the mirror. If I may ask, what kind of finish did you use on the dogwood? Almost looks like a Danish Oil finish. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Brosnan View Post
    Nicely done, Barry! I'll echo the other comments here on the nice touch on the divider and the mirror. If I may ask, what kind of finish did you use on the dogwood? Almost looks like a Danish Oil finish. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks Tim.... the finish is just a brushed on Varathane varnish...... done before I found out about Wipe on Poly.....which is what I use now...

Just catching up with this one. Very nice design in the lift out tray and good use of leather! I'm just starting a jewelry box and will probably steal some ideas from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Follett View Post
    Just catching up with this one. Very nice design in the lift out tray and good use of leather! I'm just starting a jewelry box and will probably steal some ideas from you.

Thanks Peter......please feel free to steal away!!!

I'm just about to begin the interior of mine now. The case is maple with spalted maple panels. Tung oil finish, 4 coats so far.
    P1020688.jpgP1020687.jpg

Nice looking box Peter....be sure to post the inside when done....