Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool Chest

Tool Chest

The boss aka sweetie pie, light of my life, and even more important SWMBO has been on my case to make a tool chest and small work bench to carry when we go RVing. She has noticed after a couple of days of sitting in an RV park I'm ready to be back in the shop. There is only so much beer, whisky and tacos a man can enjoy at one time. Usually it is a couple or three days for me. Anyway that is the back story.

Today I had a couple of spare minutes and used them to prep some cypress for the tool chest. It is rough dimensioned and stickered. I'll give the wood a couple of days to settle and then cut to final dimensions and clean up any stupid wood tricks.

The outside of the chest will be approximately 600mm X 900mm X 600mm. Here is a photo of the stickered wood. If you squint you might be able to see a tool chest or maybe not.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 03-02-2016 at 8:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    The outside of the chest will be approximately 600mm X 9000mm X 600mm.
    Dang! That sucker would hang out the door of my shop!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Dang! That sucker would hang out the door of my shop!

jtk
    He just wants lots of room to fill with tools - though I suspect he could fit a table saw in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    The boss aka sweetie pie, light of my life, and even more important SWMBO has been on my case to make a tool chest and small work bench to carry when we go RVing. She has noticed after a couple of days of sitting in an RV park I'm ready to be back in the shop. There is only so much beer, whisky and tacos a man can enjoy at one time. Usually it is a couple or three days for me. Anyway that is the back story.

The outside of the chest will be approximately 600mm X 9000mm X 600mm. Here is a photo of the stickered wood. If you squint you might be able to see a tool chest or maybe not.
    ken
    Sorry Ken, your story doesn't make sense. You need to ask yourself why she wants you to keep busy with these projects. Also, what gives with the metric bs? Your profile says you are in AZ. I assume that means Arizona, USA. We don't talk like that here. LOL

Hi Ken,

600mm by 9000mm by 600mm is about 24 inches by 29 1/2 feet by 24 inches. On the other hand, if the length is supposed to be 900mm, then the length is a little over 35 inches.

I know you probably have a lot of tools, but I would go with the 35+ INCH length. (Just kidding)

What are you going to do for a bench....take the horses that the lumber is standing on, and a plank or two?

Stew

Regardless of the width (30' or 35"), could I get your wife to talk to mine! That's just so unfair!!!!

Have fun!

ROTFLMAO.....You guys have sharp eyes. Yep it should have been 900mm:-).

BTW, fixed.

Plans are for a small English style bench much like the one the Naked Woodworker built.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 03-02-2016 at 9:01 PM.

Its always better to tell your wife larger dimensions if she ever asks.....I've got my wife thinking a Post-it-note is 8" wide.....
    "When I got home, I drank six more glasses of whiskey and then I finished crafting this small harp, using a bandsaw, a spokeshave, and an oscillating spindle sander." - Ron Swanson

Blog Entries
    Awesome! Looking forward to this build and the subsequent workbench build!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks Brian,

The Cypress has set for a couple or three days and is still reasonably straight and I have several hours before putting on the monkey suit for work. Might as well get a panel glued up. First task is to decide how the boards will fit, taking grain direction, and reference side into consideration and to mark out the panel. The task is easier for these panel because they will be painted so no need to include figure in the decision.

Here is the first panel marked out with a furniture maker's triangle, face mark, lines across the joint line to help aline the panels while prepping the glue surfaces, a ">" to show expected grain direction, and a "A" to indicate panel position in the box:

After marking out the panel I put pairs of the boards in the vise to true their glue edges. The first step is to create a shallow hollow in the middle of the glue edges:

Then come back and take full length shavings and checking for square:

Glue pot warming up the liquid hide glue. The liquid will give a little longer open time vs. hot hide glue:

Glued and cooking, just three more panels to go before a sawing and chopping a bunch of dovetails:

Time for the monkey suit and 6+ hours sitting in a dark box,

ken

Blog Entries
    How are you liking cypress? I enjoyed working with it, personally, on the past two projects. Enough so that I have planned some softwood architectural projects soonish.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the note about the knock down bench from the Naked Woodworker. I looked at it, and it looks great. Good choice on the bench.

Stew

Brian,

This is my first time using. I couldn't find Eastern Pine so looking around at what was available and seeing your Japanese tool box build made me give Cypress a second look. It should be a good tool box wood, reasonably light and strong, rot resistance, and seems to be easy to work. It saws and planes nicely, more once I chop some dovetail sockets. That said, like you, I can see some other projects for Cypress in the future.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi Ken,

Thanks for the note about the knock down bench from the Naked Woodworker. I looked at it, and it looks great. Good choice on the bench.

Stew
    Stew,

For what I want it should work well, the only real question is: do I use one of my smaller English QR vises on it or just go with holdfasts and battens. I expect it will end up with a vise.

ken

Be careful about what you might use to finish cypress(if you apply a finish). Paint does not adhere well to it. I made a large "parcels" box out of cypress years ago. The cypress outlasted the steel screws holding the hinges. I left the cypress unfinished.