Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Tool Chest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    Damn Ken sorry to hear about the shoulder buddy. Chest is coming along fantastic. I really like the looks of that cypress!
    Thanks Mike,

I've a appointment with the Shoulder Doc Monday, I expect he will want to cut. In the meantime I'm learning to work one handed .

I'm pretty much in the short rows, one tray down and one to go. I expect I'll finish the second tray in the AM. Then it is just paint and lid to finish the sucker off.

I'd been holding off on the top, waiting for the new Plano vertical glue press to arrive, turns out UPS delivered it last Monday, "Left on Doorstep". Whatever, Advanced Machinery has found it and will see it is on its way this coming Monday.

I've a spreader holding the saw till in place while the hide glue sets and I've tried a few things to see how they fit. Only problem found so far is the Japanese paring chisels are too tall to fit on a side wall, I'll have to make a paring chisel till in one of the trays. If I can stay out of MsBubba's line of sight tomorrow it will have at least a couple of coats of milk paint by sundown.

ken

I'm making the second tray while waiting for the first coat of "Red Pepper" milk paint to dry.

It will take a couple more coats of the Red Pepper and then it will be decision time....Stay Red or use a overcoat of another color. One of the things I like about Milk paint is as it wears it doesn't flake but will reveal the paint and/or wood under the top coat. If I decide to go with a different top coat the question is.....Which one? Black always works well with a red under coat, I've never tried Blue over red and think it might be interesting. I expect yellow or green would be kinda indifferent.

Whatever I'm ready to move on to either the travel work bench or some shop furniture, unless MsBubba has other plans.

Blog Entries
    Looking great! I love the choice of color.

Looking mighty fine, Ken. I think the red makes a nice undercoat. Finish with black and rub thru in a few places.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Vanzant View Post
    Looking mighty fine, Ken. I think the red makes a nice undercoat. Finish with black and rub thru in a few places.
    Ditto.

Or maybe another coat of lumpy blue, and then black. When you sand the black, the high-standing lumps and streaks in the blue coat will wear through quickly leaving spots exposing layers of color.

Another trick is to wax particular areas, and then paint over them. The milkpaint won't stick well, and can be easily rubbed or flaked off in interesting ways exposing the other colored layers beneath. Very antiquey. If Boss Bubba, aka, SWMBO, likes antiquey things, she might be perusaded to see the Holy Toolbox as a folksy bit of interior decoration for Airbus 1 (or whatever you call the Presidential RV).

I had my toolbox sitting in the corner of the dining room for a year when we first moved into our current house in Japan. My wife loves to entertain, and her girlfriends always commented positively on the antique tansu, not realizing of course, that it contained tools like chisels, planes, and adzes and not lace baby clothes.

The picture below has this done to a Windsor chair's arm. The wax was applied over the black coat, as you can see.

Stan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 04-30-2016 at 7:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Looking great! I love the choice of color.
    It will stay Red for awhile.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Vanzant View Post
    That was the plan but, I guess I got lazy and kinda liked the red. That can always change.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Ditto.

Or maybe another coat of lumpy blue, and then black. When you sand the black, the high-standing lumps and streaks in the blue coat will wear through quickly leaving spots exposing layers of color.

Another trick is to wax particular areas, and then paint over them. The milkpaint won't stick well, and can be easily rubbed or flaked off in interesting ways exposing the other colored layers beneath. Very antiquey. If Boss Bubba, aka, SWMBO, likes antiquey things, she might be perusaded to see the Holy Toolbox as a folksy bit of interior decoration for Airbus 1 (or whatever you call the Presidential RV).

I had my toolbox sitting in the corner of the dining room for a year when we first moved into our current house in Japan. My wife loves to entertain, and her girlfriends always commented positively on the antique tansu, not realizing of course, that it contained tools like chisels, planes, and adzes and not lace baby clothes.

The picture below has this done to a Windsor chair's arm. The wax was applied over the black coat, as you can see.

Stan
    Stan,

As always great advice and you never fail to make me laugh or at least chuckle. This one will never make it to Bubba1, it will end its days sitting next to the main workbench.

I'm going to need some serious planing for the RV tool box or as you suggest....get rich. I'm thinking a "toy Hauler" trailer to pull behind the RV.....workshop on the go, after taking your get rich suggestion to heart.

ken

The Cherry shorts I'm waiting on for the lid haven't arrived. I can do the lid with the box loaded and by loading it I can make needed room in the shop. A long way around to: here are a couple of photos of the tool box loaded. I expect the "load" will change many times but here is the first load. Top drawer mostly things used daily and/or normally found on the workbench. Second drawer most of my joinery planes and tools. Back side of case H&R's with molding planes, middle wood stock bench planes, front wall will have a chisel rack and saw till. All subject to change often.

Both drawers open:

Drawers closed to the rear with toes:

Drawers closed to the front with red belly at the bottom:

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 05-02-2016 at 12:05 AM.

Looks great Ken! I plan to make something similar one of these days. Can't decide if I want a chest or a hanging cabinet. Your work is an inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    Looks great Ken! I plan to make something similar one of these days. Can't decide if I want a chest or a hanging cabinet. Your work is an inspiration.
    Thanks Mike,

The cabinet is a "must", the tool box I expect it will be "nice to have".

BTW, the inside is not finished and will not be. All the joinery marks were left in place and I did not finish planing any of the trays or dividers. I expect in a hundred years or so (if it hasn't been turned into a toy box) whoever is looking at it will enjoy the tool and the joinery marks of the inside.

ken