Thread: Musical marbles

Musical marbles

A wooden musical instrument with a difference.
    I could neither make nor play this...

1: Never tilt the blade TOWARDS the fence. Obviously some "student" who doesn't know how to safely use a table saw!

2: What a ridiculous waste of time.

George, although I totally agree with you, a lot of lower range table saws sold in Europe, actually tilts towards the fence... much to my dismay, but that's how it is...

As a collector and sometimes rebuilder of various mechanical music machines I'd say George, you ain't seen nothin' yet! Look up the Mills Violano Virtuoso or the Hupfeld Phonoliszt for good examples.

Left vs right tilt? The old Powermatic vs Delta Unisaw flame wars revived? No thanks. (I bought the PM66, so perhaps I'm on the safe side, as it were.)

I agree with the safety aspect. But disagree with the waste of time. The guy created a beautiful intriguing machine. While not a song I will be listening to on the way to work or a long drive. It is pretty damn cool.

It is really a work of art and engineering.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

On right hand tilt saws,like the old Unisaw,you are supposed to move the fence to the OTHER SIDE of the blade. It is not the most convenient thing. My own 1963 Clausing table saw tilts away from the fence. It was always a better saw than the Deltas,though not as charmingly designed.

As for the waste of time,I would not spend 14 months of my life making such a device. I made a large harpsichord,fully veneered in a fairly complex design,with a fine finish in less time than that!
    Last edited by george wilson; 03-08-2016 at 10:34 AM.

I also have a Clausing saw of that same vintage and always thought it superior to the Deltas.

The Clausing weighs 2X the Unisaw. And,my original fence does not move as you lock it down(a real annoyance on Deltas).

I also occasionally use a 12'' blade on mine though it is a 10''.

I have considered using a 12" blade on my Clausing,for getting a deeper cut. But,have just gone to the bandsaw to finish cutting through the wood.