Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st Issue of Mortise & Tenon Magazine

Thanks for posting. Ordered my copy.

Thanks for the thread, Dave. I'm just less than half way through the magazine....I don't open it until the time is opportune for me to devote uninterrupted attention to it.....and I am very favorably impressed. Mr Klein has sparked my interest with his stroke of genius in initiating the arena for shared growth and inspiration at a time when the resurgence of hand crafts is waxing. Rather than trying to find something to compare this work to, I imagine conjunctive works between this author and several others who have emerged in recent years. Using the bio-interview of Phil Lowe to punctuate and define his (Klein's) targeted subject of maker/conservator conversation is very effective. I think this work might surprise even the author with what it contributes to the average woodworker. The Schwarz's newest book The Anarchist Design Book is due to my door soon and, I believe, it will bear witness to some truths Mr Klein exposes. We'll SEE
    GREAT READ SO FAR

Dave,

Thanks for the heads up! I will order a copy.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well worth obtaining and spending some time with. A little on the precious side, but much to be learned, thought about and enjoyed. A welcome change from the endless 8 page long repetitions of how to do some simple task in the other leading WW magazines.

I do think that a digital edition would be rather antithetical to their objectives! (I'm surprised it's not printed using a 1790 press on hand-made paper!)

Dave, thanks for posting this it looks very interesting. I ordered one.

Blog Entries
    Finally got my copy. DHL had issues and couldn't track the package. It ended up showing up by USPS with the wrapper torn up. The magazine is fine however. I especially liked the detailed photos of the historic construction. The articles on preservation were also quite good.

Thanks to Zach Dillinger for his contribution!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Finally got my copy. DHL had issues and couldn't track the package. It ended up showing up by USPS with the wrapper torn up. The magazine is fine however. I especially liked the detailed photos of the historic construction. The articles on preservation were also quite good.

Thanks to Zach Dillinger for his contribution!
    Shawn, apparently lightening does strike twice as that was my same experience; a West Coast phenomenon?

Randy

Mine hasn't arrived yet. I preordered and Josh says there were issues getting it out.

I'm in the same boat. Paid for it in December, still have not received it

Got mine just last night (I'm on the west coast of Canada). I'm under the gun to get a commission piece finished up for a client, but hopefully I'll get some quality reading time this weekend. From what I've flipped through so far, it looks beautiful and well-written.

I'm almost afraid he will run out of copies before it ships.

Yeah, me too! I am also very disturbed that people ordering the mag today will probably get it before some of the people who pre-ordered it 2 months ago (and were charged). That isn't right. His blog is already saying he is running out and will need to order a second batch which will put it another couple months away. If I do not receive it by next Tuesday (2 weeks after he told me one would be sent out ASAP) I am going to try and get my money back

Woohoo! Mine arrived today! I was almost afraid to open the packaging. It is too nice, with the sealimg wax and such.

That is great Glen. Mine arrived yesterday as well. Looks like they may be over the hump. I hope they have smooth sailing from here.

Here's to hoping. With this year's experience, next year's delivery should be much more streamlined.

Gorgeous magazine, to say the least.