Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for diamond plate wheel for Worksharp?

Source for diamond plate wheel for Worksharp?

Read several comments in your posts for use of a Diamond plate wheel for the Worksharp sharpening machines....sounds worthwhile... My question is where can I purchase these? ...And BTW what advantages are there of using these diamond wheels..Thanks for your help...
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    For my Worksharp 2000 I found a diamond wheel on eBay the same size as the Worksharp wheels. It lasts way longer, and stays cool when grinding. Another obvious benefit is it cuts fast. Really fast. eBay also has deals on diamond wheels with the grit on the outer edge if that's the kind of machine you're using.

I found them on eBay, also. Apparently they're used in the lapidary trade. They're not very expensive - I think I paid about $12 per wheel but that was a long time ago and I'm still using the ones I have.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Woodcraft sells two types.

I bought a number of these 6" diamond lapidary disks that I use on each side of standard Worksharp glass disks on my WS3000. They work very well and are available in a broad range of grits for just $13 each. A no-brainer versus the expensive abrasives that are sold for this model.

Ready to order

Thanks..Much good advice....I'll be ordering a few of these diamond discs using your recos..What grits do you recommend? And a spare or two?
    I'll continue to follow this thread..Very helpful input..Thanks again.
    Jerry

I purchased #100, #150, #240, and #500 diamond discs. I got #80 but have not used it yet. I only used the workshop for fixing bad chips or changing the bevel angle. I have moved away from the workshop because the diamond wheels can leave very deep scratches that take a lot of time to erase on water stones. If you are using the workshop for everything, then this would be less of an issue. My experience is only with Japanese chisels and plane blades.

If I were to continue using the workshop, I would stick with the #80, #240, and #500. The #500 is good enough to fix chips and nicks. The lower grits I used for grinding operations.

Thanks to George, who provided the heads-up, I have 300/600/1200/3000 grit disks. These are not for a Worksharp, but used in stationary mode. They make excellent - and cheap - honing plates! Ideal for those narrow blades that would damage your softer stones.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'll hold off on ordering until I get your recommendations on grits ? Thanks
    Jerry

Jerry,

I purchased 6 disks and a spare glass disk for my WS3000. I used spray adhesive to pair three disks up as follows: 150/240, 500/800 and 1500/3000. I only use the 150/240 disk for major overhauls and the 1500/3000 disk for setting final sharpening and a micro bevel. The maker recommends using them wet, but I have been satisfied with using them dry or with some Trend diamond cutting oil. Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    I'll hold off on ordering until I get your recommendations on grits ? Thanks

Blog Entries
    I have the ones Robert P links to (or very similar from Amazon as well) in 400, 1000, 4000, and 8000. I back them with the glass wheel for support. The 8000 had problems with the speed. It is very easy to damage the abrasive but, do able. I find abrasive film "paper" a better approach for power sharpening at very high grits.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ordered

Bit the bullet and ordered 4 diamond discs using Robert Payne's Amazon link..Ordered 100, 500, 1200 and 3000 grit..Looking forward to using..I'll advise on my results..thank you all...Stay tuned.
    Jerry

I just use mine to establish the bevel. Then I go to my water stones to put on the secondary bevel. So I only use the more coarse ones. I think the one I use the most is about 180 but it could be a bit coarser.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne View Post
    I bought a number of these 6" diamond lapidary disks that I use on each side of standard Worksharp glass disks on my WS3000. They work very well and are available in a broad range of grits for just $13 each. A no-brainer versus the expensive abrasives that are sold for this model.
    I use the same ones. They work just fine.

The 4 diamond discs I ordered from Amazon arrived and are ready for use..I've been traveling but looking forward to trying next week..2 questions:

1. How do you paste or affix the discs to the wheels of the Worksharp? What grits do you recommend?
    2. Can you use these discs dry (I am hoping)?

Thanks in advance for your guidance....
    Jerry
    Jerry