Thread: Sources for wood veneered acrylic

Sources for wood veneered acrylic

I am researching acrylic / resin panels with real wood veneers embedded / extruded inside the acrylic. 3Form has a line called "Woods" in which veneers are embedded in their Varia Eco-Resin.

Just curious if anyone has ever used this as a base for signage, and if their are other companies manufacturing real wood under/behind solid acrylic.

I imagine that its possible to epoxy wood veneers onto the back of clear acrylic, and im sure someone has done it.

Is the depth of figure and grain seen under thick acrylic something sign makers would use, or do you guys just spray coatings over plywood for lowest cost?
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Not for signs, and not with veneer, but I've used a lot of 3Form with leaves and branches in it for decorative wall panels and room divider panels.

Lumicor is another similar brand. http://www.lumicor.com/products/collections/natural

Both are incredibly expensive, and a huge pain to deal with.

Next time you look at a big medical bill, thank the architect who though $25,000 worth of plastic panels in the waiting room would look really cool.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Thanks, Gerry, for the info. I assume that 3form and Lumicor both cut well with laser. I know that both those companies have full sheet minimum orders, and pricey like in the $30.00 per sq ft range or higher? I also recall seeing samples in which the surface is not as glass-flat / glossy as extruded acrylic.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.