Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better solution than wood is good mallet?

Better solution than wood is good mallet?

I have two wood is good rubber coated mallets that I got thinking they'd be good for my nerve damaged hands. Twice recently I've seen things that talked about the Loss of energy with these mallets. I'm wondering if I'd be better off with making a joiners mallet, getting a blue spruce, or something similar.

im trying to balance sensitive hands with weaker arms.

Perhaps a wood mallet, but with a soft rubber-like handle?

I've been using them for several years now. Sometimes I use a mallet and chisel all day long. I've not damaged a chisel handle, or my arm, using one all day long. I'll never go back to wood. I use the 12 oz. for normal woodworking and carpentry stuff, and a 30 oz. one for timber framing chisels. Don't let the theorists of minutia convince you they are no good. I wish I had back all the chisel handles that have been worn out, and all the time back I spent making wooden mallets that wear out over the years. I don't have an issue with my arms, but got tired of beating tools down.

Hobbyists seem to be most interested in theory, and how a tool looks in their hand. I'm more concerned with doing the work, but then, I'm not a hobbyist. I'd stick with the Wood is Good mallets a bit longer, especially if you have issues with your hands, arm, wrist, or elbow. Hopefully, you have the 12 oz. one. I doubt I'll ever use anything else.

Blog Entries
    Find yourself a leather mallet. I have one and it hits hard but transmits less vibration to the wrist. I got mine on eBay long ago. Tandy used to make them but I believe have gone to all urethane. Leather mallets are made with round stacked discs compressed with a big metal threaded end cap, then sanded on the lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've been using them for several years now. Sometimes I use a mallet and chisel all day long. I've not damaged a chisel handle, or my arm, using one all day long. I'll never go back to wood. I use the 12 oz. for normal woodworking and carpentry stuff, and a 30 oz. one for timber framing chisels. Don't let the theorists of minutia convince you they are no good. I wish I had back all the chisel handles that have been worn out, and all the time back I spent making wooden mallets that wear out over the years. I don't have an issue with my arms, but got tired of beating tools down.

Hobbyists seem to be most interested in theory, and how a tool looks in their hand. I'm more concerned with doing the work, but then, I'm not a hobbyist. I'd stick with the Wood is Good mallets a bit longer, especially if you have issues with your hands, arm, wrist, or elbow. Hopefully, you have the 12 oz. one. I doubt I'll ever use anything else.
    i got a 12oz not long ago; I've had a 20oz almost since I started woodworking.

I have one of those leather mallets used to hit grommet tools for doing canvas work. It works really well for that, and works great for the grommet dies and cutters. It must weigh over two pounds though, and has a pretty dead landing. I'll stick with the Wood is Good urethane head ones for woodworking. You get used to the bounce back of the urethane, and it really helps with the rhythm, and ease of use once you get used to it. Maybe if I was doing fine carving I'd use something different, like maybe the little short handled brass headed one, but I can't think of anything else I'd rather use on wood than the Wood is Good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I have two wood is good rubber coated mallets that I got thinking they'd be good for my nerve damaged hands. Twice recently I've seen things that talked about the Loss of energy with these mallets. I'm wondering if I'd be better off with making a joiners mallet, getting a blue spruce, or something similar.

If the mallets are working for you, then pay no mind to what others say about the science of mallet swinging.

If the mallets are not working for you, then we have a place to start a discussion.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

+1 -- both as to the recommendations, as well as the nature of observations made by Hobbyists.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If the mallets are working for you, then pay no mind to what others say about the science of mallet swinging.

If the mallets are not working for you, then we have a place to start a discussion.

jtk
    They work ok but if I could use something a bit longer before wearing out it would be good. It may not be a question of replacing but maybe adding to my mallet Arsenal.

Blog Entries
    They work ok but if I could use something a bit longer before wearing out it would be good. It may not be a question of replacing but maybe adding to my mallet Arsenal.
    There are a few things that help me to go a little longer at the bench. One is my grip. I do not hold my mallet with a tight grip. My grip is firm enough for the mallet to stay in my hand but light enough that it has a bit of free swing. This seems to help with keeping the shock from being transferred back to my hand, arm and shoulder. Another is I will sometimes change hands. This can be tricky for those who are not used to swinging from both sides.

You may also consider if it is your light mallet that wears you out quicker or is it the heavy mallet. For chopping mortises I like to use the biggest bonker in the shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you're having problems with your grip, try using those gloves with a zillion rubber or urethane dots on them. I have a similar problem, caused by one of my meds, and those gloves have been a game changer. I also have the wood is good 20 oz mallet and think it's great.

I started using Japanese, steel hammers during my timber framing days. I will never go back to mallets. I found them to be much easier on my body. They might mush up your chisel handles a bit... but, I'd rather replace a handle than an elbow.

I've been using them for several years now. Sometimes I use a mallet and chisel all day long. I've not damaged a chisel handle, or my arm, using one all day long. I'll never go back to wood. I use the 12 oz. for normal woodworking and carpentry stuff, and a 30 oz. one for timber framing chisels..
    Tom,

Please clarify. Do you prefer rubber-coated hammers like the OP mentioned, or something else?

Thanks,

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Tom,

Please clarify. Do you prefer rubber-coated hammers like the OP mentioned, or something else?

Thanks,

Stan
    Stan, he mentioned using one exactly like I do earlier <--- the OP

Tony, I imagine (since I have not used) the rubber mallets would absorb much of the energy. For several years I have used a Thor hammer. This has a harder nylon construction. It is quiet, has decent feedback, and I use it for morticing as well as knocking furniture together. It weight about 19oz.

Here is the Thor along with a few other mallets. The small one is used for adjusting planes as well as dovetailing un-hooped chisels. The nylon head is quiet, and just the right balance of firm and absorbing. The other mallets are used for morticing.

Regards from Perth

Derek