Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Dust Collector Mod

My Dust Collector Mod

Phase 1: Ditching the Old Bag (not my wife!)

Since we're replacing our well pump this week, I won't be able to buy the new dust collector this fall, that I've had my eye on. So instead, I decided to upgrade the existing DC, a humble 1hp Shop Fox W1727. The plan is to replace the filter bag with a more efficient canister filter, add a Super Dust Deputy, build a new base to hold it all, and incorporate my iVac remote switch. Here are points A and B:

I started phase 1 on Sunday: adapting a canister filter to replace the old filter bag. I made an MDF cap for the open-topped canister that is secured by a threaded rod and star knob. The filter is sized to fit neatly in the DC tub but the gasket doesn't seat against the orifice pan. So, I installed an MDF 'donut' on which the new filter is seated.

Next...and I'm not sure how soon...I'll begin construction of the base.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

With the Canister Filter, do you notice any decrease in suction? Dan

Shouldn't the suction increase since the surface area of the pleated filter should be greater than the bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Shouldn't the suction increase since the surface area of the pleated filter should be greater than the bag?
    That is also my understanding and has been my experience since I made the switch years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Yes, that was my experience. Another benefit was a LOT less ambient dust on shop surfaces. Those bags really are evil.

Brett, my recent "humble" upgrade seems similar to yours, except I was using a Rikon 1 hp motor/fan. I used that with the SDD and a canister filter for a few months, then bought the 2 hp (yeah, BS, I know) Harbor Freight unit, just for the motor/fan. Suction got better, of course, which made the SDD work better, which meant even less fines getting to the filter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    With the Canister Filter, do you notice any decrease in suction? Dan
    No, I noticed a significant increase in air flow. I guesstimate that the surface area of the old bag filter was ~25 ft² while the canister has about 10 times more, at 254 ft². Of course, I didn't get a 10x improvement in air flow since horsepower and impeller size are still major limiting factors. But it's better than I remember it being when it was brand new.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I spent a fair bit of time in the shop this weekend. Saturday, I set my layout lines for the remaining plywood pieces and made the straight cuts at the table saw. Sunday, I did all the bandsaw work on the curved lines. I gave those an initial smoothing and rounded over all the edges I could. I also did some more work on the caster base, including trying out a new corner radius jig at the router table.

Next, I’ll fill and sand the edges, pre-finish what I can, and work on assembly.

Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Since I last posted in this thread, I assembled the major components, and painted them. After I got my honey-dos done today (most of them, anyway) I united the chassis with the base, then mounted the iVac remote switch and wiring box. And this brings us to the bonehead move of the day.

I bought a snazzy yellow, single receptacle to matchy-match the iVac switch but the home centers didn’t have a single hole box cover. So, I bought a blank cover to make my own. I measured the receptacle diameter at 1-3/8”, carefully drew my layout lines, chucked up a Forstner bit in the press, and neatly drilled a hole, perfectly centered in the cover...a 1-5/8” hole. Dang it. I knew I should’ve bought two.

Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    I bought a snazzy yellow, single receptacle to matchy-match the iVac switch but the home centers didn’t have a single hole box cover. So, I bought a blank cover to make my own. I measured the receptacle diameter at 1-3/8”, carefully drew my layout lines, chucked up a Forstner bit in the press, and neatly drilled a hole, perfectly centered in the cover...a 1-5/8” hole. Dang it. I knew I should’ve bought two.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brett, you have some serious Sketchup skills!

Can I ask how you finish the plywood to get such a professional looking result?

Thanks, Dan. Much of the model is from or modified from 3D Warehouse, but I did have to model the DC plenum from scratch.

I started off with an inexpensive sheet of ply with smooth maple veneer. All edges were rounded over or otherwise eased. I filled the edge plies and other dings with automotive glazing putty, sand that, then started laying on a sandable auto primer. Prime, sand, prime, sand, primesandprimesand.

The final finish is Krylon “hammered” spray paint: black for the caster base and dark bronze for the chassis. The subtle texture really does suggest a metal surface. I haven’t decided whether I’ll paint the DC plenum or not.
    Last edited by Brett Luna; 09-30-2018 at 2:28 PM.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Ahh...

I thought maybe you had some magic that was making the plywood look so good. Turns out, it's just a lot of work

Nicely done, though!

Well, it’s not done, done but it is operational. I mounted the dust collector to the base, took a do-over on the receptacle cover, and wired the power cord. I still need to pigtail the motor power cord and make a support for the back side of the filter tub.

Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

That is too pretty! You're making my setup feel bad about itself.

That turned out looking great! Hope it works well for you! Good job!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!