Thread: 2x4 outdoor bench

2x4 outdoor bench

Outdoor bench, was made with construction adhesive, 2X4s. finished with red oak stain & several coats of outdoor poly. Here are plans. http://diycandy.com/2015/06/modern-w...outdoor-bench/

bench-2x4.jpg

I like the simple clean lines and the "box" joints. I think I'll build one from some leftover 2x4 off cuts that I didn't have the heart to discard.

Very nice project Floyd. Looks very nice and solid. One comment is that I had bad experience with plain old 2x4's outdoors due to rot caused by moisture getting into the end grain. This could be a problem for you where the legs make contact with the soil/ground. It is inevitable that moisture will get in there and cause problems eventually unless you can somehow take precautions to inhibit this. For example, the wood needs to dry out effectively if it does wick up moisture.

Good looking bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Cox View Post
    Outdoor bench, was made with construction adhesive, 2X4s. finished with red oak stain & several coats of outdoor poly. Here are plans. http://diycandy.com/2015/06/modern-w...outdoor-bench/

bench-2x4.jpg
    Thanks Floyd. I've been looking for something like this.

Pat, I didn't mention in the post but the bench is actually going on a solid outdoor surface & I installed Teflon furniture lifts.

Thank you for the comment