Thread: Bitternut Hickory knitters bowl

Smile Bitternut Hickory knitters bowl

Another one of our friends got a bowl to keep her yarn ball in while knitting.

I rough turned this and a bunch more Bitternut Hickory bowls from log ends that I had gotten, not knowing that Hickory is one of those woods that move more than most woods at that time, (better than 20 years ago) and I got rough turned pieces that I thought I’d never be able to return again, as I was afraid the inside would get bigger than the outside

Anyway I did take it recently as I liked the height to width of this one and gave it a whirl, after carefully centering it I was able to get a good bowl from it, thick enough to be able to hold a ball of yarn, and the recipient was very pleased with it, send me a picture the very next day with a partially knitted sock in it, called it "Happy Sock"

Happy sock.jpg

Bitternut Hickory.jpg Bitternut Hickory bowl.jpg Bitternut Hickory knitting bowl.jpg Bitternut Hickory bowl bottom.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Leo, your forms are just so inspiring. I don't think I could appreciate how clean and elegant your work is before I tried 125 times to do the same thing. It's so hard to make it look so easy.

It's beautiful wood, a beautiful finish, and a form I aspire to.

What Prashun said..........+2

Looking very gooood.
    C&C WELCOME

Leo, thanks for posting the pictures. It looks nice.

Yesterday I thin turned a piece of green "live oak" that is destined to become a yarn bowl for my SIL. The wall thickness is a little less than 3/8 inch and the bottom is about 1/2 inch. It's profile has a slight Ogee with a 5" wide base.

My piece of oak is pretty clear and doesn't have a lot of character. I'm open to ideas to potentially embellish it a little.

Very nice bowl Leo. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Great job Leo! Beautiful bowl, perfect for the job and clearly much appreciated by its new owner! Thanks for sharing.
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

Great work Leo. I love seeing what the people with great skills and creativity can do. Do you just use a router to cut the yarn slot in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Leo, your forms are just so inspiring. I don't think I could appreciate how clean and elegant your work is before I tried 125 times to do the same thing. It's so hard to make it look so easy.

It's beautiful wood, a beautiful finish, and a form I aspire to.
    Thanks for the king words Prashun

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    What Prashun said..........+2
    Thank you for looking and reply David

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Ferguson View Post
    Looking very gooood.
    Thanks Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Leo, thanks for posting the pictures. It looks nice.

Yesterday I thin turned a piece of green "live oak" that is destined to become a yarn bowl for my SIL. The wall thickness is a little less than 3/8 inch and the bottom is about 1/2 inch. It's profile has a slight Ogee with a 5" wide base.

My piece of oak is pretty clear and doesn't have a lot of character. I'm open to ideas to potentially embellish it a little.
    Thanks for the reply Brice , a fine finish and some time will make an Oak bowl look nice just by itself, often, less is more, it is easy to make it look gaudy.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Very nice bowl Leo. Thanks again for the inspiration.
    Thanks Daryl, and yes you are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Alvarado View Post
    Great job Leo! Beautiful bowl, perfect for the job and clearly much appreciated by its new owner! Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for looking and your reply Maria , yes she was pleasantly surprised, makes for good friends

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Great work Leo. I love seeing what the people with great skills and creativity can do. Do you just use a router to cut the yarn slot in it?
    Thanks Ronald , I use both handsaw and dremel bits, plus lots of sanding to make that J nice and smooth.
    Have fun and take care