Thread: Finish for Maple kitchen cabinets

Finish for Maple kitchen cabinets

I am building kitchen and later bathroom cabinets out of hard maple and maple plywood. I will be spraying for the first time with a used Binks 2001 HVLP conversion gun I am in the process of refurbishing.
    I am leaning towards using Target EM 6000 because I want a clear non yellowing finish that is durable. I have read a lot of posts that mention dewaxed blonde shellac as a base coat and I'm trying to understand if it would be useful to use it on my project to enhance or pop the grain or figure in the maple and provide a uniform seal coat for the EM 6000. Or should I just use the EM 6000 alone ? I am open to suggestions for other topcoats but the EM 6000 seems to be a good choice from posts I have read.
    Thanks
    Chris

Lots of folks here have used that product. I haven't yet, but I've sprayed lots of WB products and in almost all cases I spray a coat of SealCoat shellac first. I don't do it because it enhances the look, I do it because it eliminates the nasty grain raising that sometimes happens when you apply WB products directly to the wood. That shouldn't be a big problem on maple but I would test it to see if it helps. Above all, I would read Target's instructions on how to use their product, compatibility, etc.

John

Thank you John I appreciate the info.
    Chris