Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to make this

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    I was hoping to find a simple, effective way to do this. Letters are put on signs all the time and lasers are not the only method.
    I guess you stopped reading my post about a plotter and cutting masks and painting them. Just so you know, that's how us Sign Makers put letters on signs. That's why I said it. There is no cheaper way to letter things than with a plotter and vinyl or masking and painting.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

You might consider purchasing a laser printer. I know in the past I have printed paper transfers at work and used a clothes iron to transfer the ink to wood. Its not a great option but its inexpensive and easy to do. You can also go to any local copy or printing shop and get laser printing for pennies per sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    You might consider purchasing a laser printer. I know in the past I have printed paper transfers at work and used a clothes iron to transfer the ink to wood. Its not a great option but its inexpensive and easy to do. You can also go to any local copy or printing shop and get laser printing for pennies per sheet.
    Have you done this? Does it take well to a varnish top coat?

Scott - As I said it is the attitude I don't appreciate and it persists in this and your following post. You have taken this personally and all I want is advice.

Yes I don't agree with YOUR idea of the best way because you refuse to take in to consideration anything I have said. I can't afford a laser, they are too big for my shop and too hazardous. Lasers are wrong for me and I am the BEST judge of what works for me. I started this thread saying I sought out advice on lasers in ignorance and now see them as wrong for me. I started this thread seeking advice (usually that includes a description of the process) on the alternative method's of doing what I want to do. It is pretty clear from my opening post but for some reason lasers are still being shoved down my throat. You're telling me how I should title this thread. Is this what you think proper conduct is here?

Thank you so much for you input. Please do not help me any more. Your input here is not appreciated.
    My advice was a vinyl plotter. Not sure why you refuse to comment on that and keep going back to the lasers. I've mentioned plotters three times now and you have yet to even consider it.

You have been given advice from people with 50 years experience in the trade. If you chose to ignore their advice, that's your choice.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    This is your 3rd post on this subject. The responses have been the same. There is no magic solution.

Custom Layouts: Laser
    Mass Production: Brand
    "Cheap": Stencil & Paint
    Don't want to make an investment? Outsource the work.

I'm sorry you don't like your options, but these are the options available. If you'd like another set of options, you might want to try asking a different pool of users but I doubt you'll get much different answers.
    Tell me, did you read my opening post or are you only reading what other posters are writing (like the ones pushing lasers?) I started out saying I wanted input on burning, painting and iron on or any other low tech/cost methods. I asked if I could get experienced people to tell me of possible pitfalls. I'm not looking for magic. I don't know why you think I don't like my options. Please read the OP to understand what I look for here.

Tell me(since you must keep coming back) why is a vinyl plotter (as if I know what it is and to do with one) best for me. If you want to give good advice then perhaps you can tell me what the terms mean that you are using, what the steps would be in the process you are recommending would be and what kind of investment in money and space I would be looking at. This would be the START of advice that could help me.
    It is your best option because it's the cheapest option. Lasers are out of the question for you, branding doesn't make any sense for one off items, and one of the only processes left is cutting a stencil on a vinyl plotter and painting it. You asked how to do it cheaply and we are telling you how to. I cut, mask, and paint things all the time. It's very easy. How much does it cost? My plotter costs $10,000, but it's very sophisticated. You don't need all of that. You can get a good used brand name one for $1000 or so, or you can buy a brand new Chinese one for probably $500.

For less than $1000, you could be making the products you want.

I just had an idea - what if you made a stencil from aluminum flashing, and then used a propane torch to burn the letters into the wood? I have made shields from aluminum when burning stuff, and the aluminum does a good job of blocking a flame.

You could rout out the letters from the aluminum with a small carbide spiral bit (use cutting fluid or WD 40). Might be worth a quick try by simply drilling a hole in some thin sheet aluminum to see if the flame holds some resolution.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Quote Originally Posted by John Blazy View Post
    I just had an idea - what if you made a stencil from aluminum flashing, and then used a propane torch to burn the letters into the wood? I have made shields from aluminum when burning stuff, and the aluminum does a good job of blocking a flame.

You could rout out the letters from the aluminum with a small carbide spiral bit (use cutting fluid or WD 40). Might be worth a quick try by simply drilling a hole in some thin sheet aluminum to see if the flame holds some resolution.
    I like that idea. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    It is your best option because it's the cheapest option. Lasers are out of the question for you, branding doesn't make any sense for one off items, and one of the only processes left is cutting a stencil on a vinyl plotter and painting it. You asked how to do it cheaply and we are telling you how to. I cut, mask, and paint things all the time. It's very easy. How much does it cost? My plotter costs $10,000, but it's very sophisticated. You don't need all of that. You can get a good used brand name one for $1000 or so, or you can buy a brand new Chinese one for probably $500.

For less than $1000, you could be making the products you want.
    Unfortunately you still have not explained what you are suggesting. I don't know the process so I can not make a decision about this. I am looking to spend much less than that.
    I think part of the problem here is that you folks are so caught up in your use of computers and lasers and other high tech options that thinking of simple, easy inexpensive methods is something you don't do often. I was hoping that some of you might remember methods from the past that weren't centered around high production, business plans and all that. Along with that I was hoping for something more than "get stencils and paint." I was looking for suggestions like John Blazy offered. He described a process as he had used which would accomplish what I am looking to do.

Thanks again.

It's a shame you couldn't be bothered to do a google search on the subject. You would have found this: http://makezine.com/projects/make-35...l-woodburning/

Also, please remember this is the High Tech section of the site. Many of us run businesses doing custom work and there is a reason why we buy these high tech pieces of equipment. Even to do the process above, you'll probably want to use a high tech solution to create your stamp/mask.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I think part of the problem here is that you folks are so caught up in your use of computers and lasers and other high tech options that thinking of simple, easy inexpensive methods is something you don't do often. I was hoping that some of you might remember methods from the past that weren't centered around high production, business plans and all that. Along with that I was hoping for something more than "get stencils and paint." I was looking for suggestions like John Blazy offered. He described a process as he had used which would accomplish what I am looking to do.

Thanks again.
    Sorry John. I'm sorry that I couldn't be bothered to take your idea, figure out the best way for you to do it, document it, tell you where to get all the items, maybe post some Youtube videos of me showing you examples of how to do it, and laying it all out there for you to walk right into, all while you do nothing on your own, other than say "you people sure aren't helping me like I want to be helped". I went back and read your two previous other threads, one of which went this same direction. The people you bash for "not helping" have literally helped 1000's of people on this forum over the years. Most of them say "Great, I didn't even know about that, I'll look into it, thanks!". I can't recall any posts where the people helping were repeatedly told they they weren't helping right.

Simply amazing. I guess you'll have to figure it out on your own because all the people who have tried to help you have failed.

Best of luck in your venture.

Try it, and show pics of the results.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

Quote Originally Posted by John Blazy View Post
    Try it, and show pics of the results.
    Most definitely. Making the oak lid should take minutes compared to the lettering. Unfortunately I go in for heart surgery in two days and then surgery on a torn rotator cuff four weeks after that. By the way does cutting aluminum like that create a lot of spark? (Excuse the ignorance on metalwork, never worked with aluminum that I recall.)

It's a shame you couldn't be bothered to do a google search on the subject. You would have found this: http://makezine.com/projects/make-35...l-woodburning/
    It's a shame you can't be more polite. I've done google searches but I am looking here for input from people that have either tried a method or by their own experience can recommend a method that they feel would be successful. Google searches can tell you anything from how to make an a-bomb to who killed Kennedy, doesn't its good information. Don't you ever ask questions here? You don't see a forum as an exchange of information?
    Also, please remember this is the High Tech section of the site. Many of us run businesses doing custom work and there is a reason why we buy these high tech pieces of equipment. Even to do the process above, you'll probably want to use a high tech solution to create your stamp/mask.
    I do often forget this is a high tech section yet I always think woodworking is woodworking and all good craftsmen, I think, know how to get from point A to point B in a number of different ways. I used to work with a very good 18th century repro shop and my employer, in the interest of increasing profit and reducing time, had resin copies of chair legs made. An order for a set of ball and claw chairs could be done much faster when the resin leg was put on a duplicarver and the legs were banged out in hours. Of course any number of men in the shop could still be called on to cut and carve the legs at any time. Perhaps you don't have the background to offer the advice I look for...that is okay. I have gotten some good advice and the acid burning, if it is not too harmful, could be a good avenue. There are other acids that are less harmful that might be an option and this idea has made me wonder if using a stencil and spraying a less caustic acid might work. We used to use acid for aging the appearance of woods in the shop I mentioned???

Have you done this? Does it take well to a varnish top coat?
    Yes, I have used laser prints to transfer text and graphics to wood surfaces for many years. Most were sprayed with lacquer or poly without any problems so I doubt that varnish will be a problem. This technique is cheap and effective and will probably give you the look you prefer for your project.