Thread: Insulation

Insulation

Has anyone here sprayed closed-cell insulation directly onto metal siding in a pole-barn type building?
    I'm thinking about eliminating the sheathing on an upcoming build and using diagonals similar to a pole-barn. Then I could use 2x2 nailers for the metal, diagonals for shear strength, install the metal siding, and then spray foam for the insulation.
    Thoughts?

I had closed cell sprayed onto the metal of my building several years ago. Great insulation, somewhat pricey up front but has now more than paid for itself. Run your electrical, plumbing etc. FIRST!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Closed cell can be applied directly to the building materials since it is its own vapor barrier and leaves no space for condensation to form. It also adds substantial rigidity to the structure. That said, there are some jurisdictions that may have a different opinion, so be sure to consider that if it's a factor where you live. For example, our local building inspector required us to install baffles in our addition roof before the closed cell was sprayed, despite the recommendation of the installer and material manufacturer. (he also required a bunch of other things that would normally be either/or rather than "and"...you could park a cement truck on top of our addition because of all the extra structural additions and resultant cost...)

I'm very much a believer in closed cell foam for insulation. Initial cost is higher, but the long-term cost is very attractive along with the structural benefits.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...