Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collector Question

Dust Collector Question

Does anyone have experience upgrading to a two stage Oneida dust collector from a Delta one stage collector with a felt bag? I am thinking about making the upgrade but am curious if the change will noticeably improve the dust collection in my garage shop.

Blog Entries
    I went from a Penn State 1 hp double bagger to a 2 hp Oneida SDG cyclone. Huge improvement.
    NOW you tell me...

Chad,

The moderator may move this to the "Workshops" forum since most threads about dust collection reside there. In short, you would see a dramatic improvement in dust collection, cleanliness in your shop, and a reduced risk to your lungs by going to a proper cyclone with good filtration.

The main thing is that felt bags clog quickly and suction goes down. If that hasn't been a problem for you, then you won't see much improvement.

The problem with felt bags isn't that they clog easily, it is that they are typically undersized and don't have enough surface area. An oversized bag will clean easier than a cartridge. I run both and cartridges give you much more surface area in a given space but bags are far easier to deal with if you overfill the bin or produce a lot of fine dust. Dave

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I can only suggest to go as big as your wallet and electrical system can handle. Your lungs will thank you.
    Everybody I know says 'why did I wait for so long'

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    The problem with felt bags isn't that they clog easily, it is that they are typically undersized and don't have enough surface area. An oversized bag will clean easier than a cartridge. I run both and cartridges give you much more surface area in a given space but bags are far easier to deal with if you overfill the bin or produce a lot of fine dust. Dave
    Yeah, if they were 10 times as big, they wouldn't clog easily. But since they aren't, they clog easily.

The typical bags that come with collectors are crap but a good singed felt will release the cake when deflated or banged with a stick when inflated. Some of the cake stays and helps the filtration. Mine are 8' high so they do need room. As an alternative you can increase the width and have them necked down to fit the collector. Surface loading so the dust releases is what you look for in bags or cartridges. You also need to find out the CFM per sq ft rating of any material to calculate how much surface area you need. That determines how much room you will use up on either type. Dave

The same HP collector in a bagged vs cyclone, the bagged will have better suction as long as the filtration is clean. Not as many internal friction losses. But the cyclone will stay at the same suction level for longer periods because the filtration won't clog as quickly.

I vented my cyclone outside, so no filtration media. Much better collection since I've done this. Heat loss and cooling loss occur because of this so if you have a small shop it's something to think about.

Anybody know about the underarmor type material being used for filter bags? I had machinery salesman in the shop a few months ago mention them. He said higher filtration, more cfm, same bag size.

Yes, that will be a big improvement. Now whether the 2HP version is good enough or not... I have never seen anybody say I have too much DC.
    The differences usually are small to go to the bigger unit but the improvement could be significant. Calculate how much SP you'll have and multiply that by an extra 30% (because in reality typically it will be more) and look at the curves to see how much CFM you'd get and buy a system that gives you at least 800-1000cfm at each machine port.

The improvement will be like going from crab apples to grapefruits...significant improvement in capability.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

First there was night...and then there was day. It'll be that big of a difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You will notice an improvement in pretty much every way possible. Do it!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

My power supply will only support the 1.5 hp two stage dust collector. Will it still make a difference?