Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairing a Japanese Chisel

Repairing a Japanese Chisel

Just got beautiful 3mm Koyamaichi chisel in a dovetail pattern. However went a little hard peening the ends and ended up bending and delaminating the chisel blade...

Any ideas to try to fix it? Do you guys even bother peening such a delicate blade?

uWJgOEU.jpg

You must return it to the fires Isengard.
    Or it's pretty much done.

I wouldn't call that delaminated

Blog Entries
    Ouch, something went wrong in the peening process. What is your process? Mine involves lightly tapping the edge of the end grain over the hoop after fitting the hoop.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

The elves of Rivendell were into reparing broken blades like that. Otherwise I would write it off.

Ya, seems like a loss, good excuse to put in another order though... Giving JB weld a go and seeing if I can at least salvage as a paring chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I wouldn't call that delaminated
    Haha ya, the part that bent was the softer steel on top, the harder steel for the blade kinda just separated from the softer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Ouch, something went wrong in the peening process. What is your process? Mine involves lightly tapping the edge of the end grain over the hoop after fitting the hoop.
    I think mine might have been 2 fold, I was pounding decently hard to set the hoop which might have drove the chisel pretty deep into the block and bent it a little. I think peening it off center might have done it in especially with the chisel driven into the block...

On my first set of chisels, I soaked it in water and then peened. I recently read to just go for it instead so tried that which was a little stubborn so probably went with too much force.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    The elves of Rivendell were into reparing broken blades like that. Otherwise I would write it off.
    How's shipping costs there?
    Last edited by Zuye Zheng; 03-12-2016 at 6:18 PM.

Wow.

Maybe silver solder? JB Weld?

I'd try anything, before tossing a nice piece like that.

If all fails, maybe you could grind a new bevel, and turn it into a mini router plane.

I think Allan has it right. I recently broke a 1/4 inch beginner priced Japanese chisel. No good for demolition work!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    You must return it to the fires Isengard.
    Or it's pretty much done.
    That is the best solution, but USPS won't ship to Mordor, too many problems with the Orks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuye Zheng View Post
    I think mine might have been 2 fold, I was pounding decently hard to set the hoop which might have drove the chisel pretty deep into the block and bent it a little. I think peening it off center might have done it in especially with the chisel driven into the block...

On my first set of chisels, I soaked it in water and then peened. I recently read to just go for it instead so tried that which was a little stubborn so probably went with too much force.
    I use to wet the ends of the chisel before setting the hoops, but after some internet "discussions", I decided that setting the hoops dry would work just fine. I do not set the chisel on a block when I set the hoops. I simply hold it in the air with my left hand, and hit the edge of the protruding wood with a hammer in my right. I try to have between 1 and 2mm of wood proud of the hoops. I lightly hammer the handle on an anvil to compress the wood before placing the hoop. Hoops generally have a thick and thin end. The thin end goes in first. If there are any burrs or rough edges inside the hoop, file them smooth. I use a hoop setting tool to pound the hoop onto the handle before preening.

Blog Entries
    The hard steel is ahead of the break, so there is no way a bevel is going to hold on that stub.

Peening from the side with the chisel knocked into a block of wood is definetly what did it.

I don't hammer them into a block, I fit the hoop so that about 1-2mm of handle is exposed than I just peen around the edge of the wood to lock it in.

I have a cone shaped tool for knocking the hoops on.

File the inside of the hoop to remove any burrs that may prevent the hoop from installing smoothly. The shape of the hoop is made so that it compresses the wood as it sinks down onto the handle and naturally the wood should partially return to size after it exits the handle. If it won't drive onto the handle, some wood must be removed. I do this very carefully, takin slight shavings and testing the hoop as I go.

edit, looks like David beat me to the punch with near identical advice, hah.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 03-12-2016 at 8:12 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

As mentioned silver solder or brazing, I'd even consider TIG in my shop. Then of course you need to reharden and temper. Plenty of work...

Defective chisel. Return to retailer for replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Defective chisel. Return to retailer for replacement.
    Not sure that this was "defective".
    When I got my Koyamaichi chisels some years ago, I set the hoops following the instructions on TFWW site.
    https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...oop_guide.html

They explicitly cautioned about the risk of cracking the chisel on 1.5 and 3mm chisels when setting the hoop. (they recommended holding in hand or making a hole in wood and supporting the bolster, rather than putting the blade into a block and whacking away. They also recommended against putting the handle into a vise (potentially knocking the blade off and onto the floor)

I will say that the Witchhazel handles on my chisels did not mush very well at all.

Matt

I always wondered if my Koyamaichi chisels were made with wrought iron or not. Well, this break certainly looks like wrought iron, the grainy structure is visible as far as I can see.