Thread: Design Idea for Large Kitchen Table

Design Idea for Large Kitchen Table

I am starting the design process for our new kitchen table. I am thinking cherry & the size is huge, 14’ x 52”. At this point I am thinking that a double pedestal might be the way to go or even two single pedestal tables each 7’ x 52” that I can fasten together once in place. I am also thinking that the length of the boards will be 52”, not 14’.

I am a strong intermediate woodworker but have never attempted anything this large. Looking for ideas and design guidance.

In my neck of the woods, I don't think I can buy 14'-long cherry planks. And if I could, I'd be concerned about face-jointing them flat; the longer the boards, the more material you're likely to have to remove to get to straight. So two 7' tables would be more practical. They'd also be easier to move from shop to kitchen. In contrast, if you run the grain in the 52" direction, you'll have an easier time sourcing and milling the boards.
    The usual argument about running the grain across the table is that hygroscopic expansion of the lumber has a bigger effect. That's not a show-stopper, but it can be a disaster if you don't accommodate the movement.

The size you quote is that of a conference table in a law firm, or the White House or Pentagon. It is even quite a bit larger than the working table in an English country house's kitchen.

How did you arrive at the size, and have you thought of mocking something up in plywood and sawhorses to confirm it works for your kitchen situation.

Passing the tabasco across the table is going to be an effort requiring standing. And not just for kids.

And the other argument against running the boards crossways is its ugly. And a design contradiction. Yes,it would take some skill to glue up 14 foot top but it's been done and can be done again. If the thing must be that large consider a trestle table since they can be taken apart to move.

I worked with the designer to determine the size. 52" wide is certainly within standard width for a dining table and there is plenty of room to push back the chairs and for people to circulate behind the table.

I don't think that this table will be moved so the portability of the trestle isn't really an asset in this situation. My initial thought was that having the boards run crosswise would be ugly until I looked at some other large tables that ran crosswise.

I am a one man shop, with a combo 12" J/P, so jointing 14'+ long boards is something that doesn't fit the profile of fun for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    And the other argument against running the boards crossways is its ugly...
    Many folks have that reaction when they're already thinking of one-piece table tops. However, think instead about tables with leaves, and the top is made from solid lumber. Almost all of those have the grain running the short direction across the table. And nobody gets offended.

One I made for us is 44 across and 78 long, split in center for opening with equalizer slides, and two 18-inch leaves are in a felt-lined pocket inside. The boards run crosswise.

My hardwood supplier has 14 and 16 foot lengths of cherry. The supplier will make glued up panels and widebelt sand them to my specs, but might balk at doing a top the size the OP is discussing here.

Across town a ways is CS Woods, and here is just the first listing of their stock of cherry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    Passing the tabasco across the table is going to be an effort requiring standing. And not just for kids.
    That's why you have the Lionel train set up on the table so food can be passed easily.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Well Jamie, that is a valid point. Guess it depends on style of table and how it will be used.