Thread: Using the Big Ugly

Using the Big Ugly

Follow up clip to making the Big Ugly... I launch one here.... Thou shalt not show off for the camera....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4x8...m-upload_owner

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Follow up clip to making the Big Ugly... I launch one here.... Thou shalt not show off for the camera....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4x8...m-upload_owner

robo hippy
    Oops, I see now this can happen too the best of turners, not just hacks like me. Glad you were not hurt.
    Reed do you know of anybody making these tools out of the proper metal for sale?

Reed,
    I want to see that in slow-mo.
    I watch it 3 times and that sucker was gone in a blink of the eye. I don't think I'm ready for the big ugly.
    Glad you weren't hurt.

I do have one clip up on standing out of the line of fire, which is some thing I preach. It is habit as much as turning my speed down to 0 before turning on the lathe with a new piece on. A lot of bowl turners will stand directly in that line to 'better see the form taking shape'. If you watch the standing out of the line of fire clip, you will see the hole in my wall... I don't know how fast I was turning, but on my big lathe, I would have been at 2200 rpm, which is faster than most people go, well except Jimmy Clewes, but like me, he isn't 'most people'.

I have considered making these for sale, but traditionally they are a do it yourself tool. Making them for resale would make them rather expensive, where you could make one for $50 or less. In making the previous clip, I figured it would be a good club project. Who knows.... if the demand is there, I might, but they are fairly simple to make if you have torch skills. The materials are not too difficult to find. Sources are listed on the How to make the Big Ugly' clip.

robo hippy

Blog Entries
    Showing out would be to catch the bowl . That is not that ugly ether looks rather sweet . Thanks for the video .

I read the responses before watching the video, so I was expecting the catch and launch, I caught myself leaning out of the line of fire!
    Be Blessed

George

image.jpg
    Finished my Big Ugly today. Works great.

Very nice Steve. Are you going too make them to sell��

Nice Steve, looks very civilized... Did you do a sandwich handle?

robo hippy

No plans to go in to production. Made two for about $30. One for a friend,with handle.Sandwiched handle is walnut and hickory