Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Link Belt Installed

Link Belt Installed

Well, I ordred from Rockler a link belt for the contractors table saw plus a bunch of jig hardware for some jigs I am building. Ordered Sat night and received on Tuesd. Pretty fast.

Anyway, I installed the link belt. Took a few adjustments to get it to the proper length and tension. When finally installed the saw is a little more on the louder side and by that I mean it makes more of a whirring wining sound, however when noise usually translates to more vibration, that isn't the case. I lost part of the vibration I had when I adjusted the pulley last weekend. After installing the link belt, it is nearly vibration free. A nickle will stand and it doesn't even move, revolve or anything. Prior to adjusting the pulley I couldn't stand a nickle, afterward it would stand and revolve around and move but would not fall, and with the new belt it just stands there. Oh... and by the way, 4 ft is plenty of link belt, I had to remove at least 6 links. Thanks for everyones help.

Now I am off to shop aid & jig building. I have made several wood stock pushers etc. Started a box joint jig which I will finish this weekend, will start a router dial-a-dado jig and finally a nice cross cut sled.

Corey
    Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 09-14-2005 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks for the update Corey.

I recently rehabbed a vintage 1955 Delta Rockwell 14" bandsaw. When I first got it everything worked, but when turned on, would walk across the floor. After fixing all the normal issues, the saw was vastly improved, but still had a slight wobble. Everything was balanced so I think the old belt, which I have not replaced yet, is the culprit. I was debating on whether to try the link belt or just a standard type. You just pushed me over the edge towards the links.

It is amazing John when you look at the material they are made out of. I still expected some kind of rubbery stuff. It is almost like a thick fabric caoted with plastic or somehting and when you hold it you think, there is no way in H this is going to run smoother than a rubber belt... but it sure does!

Corey

Hey Corey, how ya feeling? Sounds like the old Corey again. Must be feeling pretty good by now. Glad to hear the belt took care of your problem. On the jigs ya know ya gotta share (at least pic's). I am getting ready to build me a drill press table with some stop blocks, hold down jigs, etc. I am also going to bite the bullet and buy the router this next week. Hope it all works out. Anyway Corey hope things are going well.

Bernie

Feeling great and really have been making some sawdust. No actual projects other than stuff for the shop. Will post pics of the jigs! A drill press table is on my list as well!

Corey

Glad it worked. Like you my first one I said no way. I now have them on my table saw, band saw, drill press and lathe. Glad it worked for you.

Cory, now that the nickle does't spin anymore, how do you cut wood? Nickle, blade, never mind,bad joke, glad it worked out for ya, and don't forget to put the nickle back in your pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley
    Cory, now that the nickle does't spin anymore, how do you cut wood? Nickle, blade, never mind,bad joke, glad it worked out for ya, and don't forget to put the nickle back in your pocket!
    Oooohhh.... that was bad Scott..lol !

Corey

Hey Cory, That WAS Fast Service, and Glad it worked out for you. One thing to watch, is that the Link Belts will stretch some for a while til they get broken in, so you will probably have to check and retighten the belt a couple or maybe three times as you use the saw, until all the links get settled into their notches.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

I did some cutting tonight and it was just fine. I have eliminated my tooth marks between all the different tune ups that I have donein the last week. That is relieveing. Don I checked tonight and all seems to be fine after cutting tonight on the stretch so far and I will keep checking. It is somewhat bothersome though ( I am a worry wart) that the saw now has a high pitch wine, but all seems to be fine and no vibration.

Corey

Corey,

Good fix my friend!! You're rolling now!!

I put link belts on my contractor saw, drill press and bandsaw. Good results on the contractor saw, not sure if it helped the other two.

The bandsaw (Delta 14") is the only one of the three on which the weight of the motor doesn't automatically tension the belt, and the belt did stretch and loosen up bigtime. The bandsaw just about quit cutting after I used it a few times, until I moved the motor to re-tighten the belt. I hope I don't have to do it again, because it's a pita to move the motor and maintain alignment on that saw.

The link belt sure helped my contractor saw,it really runs smooth.

Blog Entries

Hey Corey!

Maybe the directions told you, but those belts are directional. The tabs on the inside of the belt should be leaning toward where they came from as the belt rotates. If you put them on backwards the belt will make more noise.

They should look like this ///// if the belt is going ---->. They should not look like this\\\\\\\ if the belt is going ---->.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

No directions Lee, and that may be just be wear the noise is coming from! I will definitely check that out!

Corey