13 43.33%
  • Moxxon vice

13 43.33%
  • Other

4 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawing in face vice or a moxxon type

Sawing in face vice or a moxxon type

I have a poor-man's moxxon style vice I made a while back. It works pretty well. I sometimes think of making a proper one but one thing stops me. I don't use the one I have. I've gotten in the habit of always sawing joinery in my face vice. Drawer dovetails, tenons right in the vice. For wider pieces where the moxxon might really shine, I usually clamp one end in the vice and use an f-clamp to secure the other end to the workbench. It's faster than mounting the moxxon and doesn't take up any space on my small bench.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    I have a poor-man's moxxon style vice I made a while back. It works pretty well. I sometimes think of making a proper one but one thing stops me. I don't use the one I have. I've gotten in the habit of always sawing joinery in my face vice. Drawer dovetails, tenons right in the vice. For wider pieces where the moxxon might really shine, I usually clamp one end in the vice and use an f-clamp to secure the other end to the workbench. It's faster than mounting the moxxon and doesn't take up any space on my small bench.
    I am addicted to the Bench Crafted leg vise on my bench. Eventually I plan to build a Moxon...but right now the leg vise works really well for me.

I do plan to build a Moxon at some point, if only to raise the work up higher so I don't have to bend over as much. For now I resaw and do all joinery in my face vise. I have the Veritas quick release.

Blog Entries
    I use my tail vise. It is actually the same as my face vise. The space around my tail vise seems magical to me.

My plans are to build a Moxon type vise one of these days.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use the Moxon vise to do dovetails. However my Moxon vise is built into the bench and I sit on a saw bench to do them. It works quite well for me.

I also use my home-made Moxom for dovetails, but that's it. I've built several saw benches, same height, different styles, and use the simplest design the most"
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    I do plan to build a Moxon at some point, if only to raise the work up higher so I don't have to bend over as much. For now I resaw and do all joinery in my face vise. I have the Veritas quick release.

That Veritas vise is very slick Nice choice.

Blog Entries
    Other,

My new bench will be height adjustable. I keep changing the plans, as vices for an Adjust A Bench design get complicated. Now that we are planing to move I am not sure what my work space will be like. I am trying to make everything mobile and able to hold extra tools too. I was planing to make the Adjust A Bench more of a worktable and build a large stationary bench too. Some of my fellow posters and bench builders have convinced me to make the Adjust A Bench my main bench. No Moxon for me.

I've got a twin-screw Veritas vice that I use to saw my joinery (it's 30 inches between screws, I think?). So slap something right dead-center on that puppy and tighten. It's not going anywhere, and it keeps chatter down.

I still need to get leather for the faces, though.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Daniel-
    Sounds like for your method of work, you might some day upgrade to a twin screw front vise. I think that's the best of both worlds.

I have a bench on bench moxon, and it's great for raising work, though. It's a back saver. But I use it more for chisel and pull-sawing. I like the ergonomics of western sawing at the lower height, personally.

Today I have a bench and vises just like Jim's. If build a new bench, I'll go with a Record style metal face vice. Most likely the 10" eclipse flush mounted. I've even considered retrofitting my current bench. I might add an apron mounted twin screw of some type especially if it's removable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Daniel-
    Sounds like for your method of work, you might some day upgrade to a twin screw front vise. I think that's the best of both worlds.

I have a bench on bench moxon, and it's great for raising work, though. It's a back saver. But I use it more for chisel and pull-sawing. I like the ergonomics of western sawing at the lower height, personally.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Pictures are of my "sort of Moxon". Works just fine with QR vises. It's mounted on an Adjust a Bench. I usually just use a face vise for most joinery.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    James,
    I am working on an Adjust a Bench design too. Would love to see more complete pictures of your bench. I am trying to decide what vises to use on my Adjust A Bench. I am thinking about the two Veritas QR vises on the AAB and a leg vise on another bench.

I am having a hard time telling what parts of the vise(s) on your bench are permanent parts and which are removable "Moxon" parts. Maybe you have two QR vises on one side of the bench which you use together to make a "Moxon" that you can raise with the AAB?
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 03-16-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Pretty small sample size but about 1/2 respondents use a Moxxon vice. I'm surprised. I expected far more people to have just reverted to the face vise.
    -- Dan Rode

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    Pretty small sample size but about 1/2 respondents use a Moxxon vice. I'm surprised. I expected far more people to have just reverted to the face vise.
    I agree. I didn't think that many would actually have a moxon vise to use. I don't have one but could definitely see the benefit these days where my eyesight ain't what it used to be. I do share your original thoughts though about the lack of convenience of having to install and remove the moxon.