Thread: Some more pushing paint

Some more pushing paint

These bowls rather plain ash which begs for coloring. Both have been a learning experience or what some may refer to as a series. Doing multi colored one I used mica powders mix with Formby's tung oil. The amount of powder made the mix somewhat opaque and was like the thickness of paint. As I was applying layers, the surface was becoming rougher. The oil took overnight to dry so progress was slow. I used an air gun to push the color around, but it was a little difficult to get it to spread freely.
    The darker one I used alcohol as the medium and less powder. I had the mix in a small plastic cup and needed to jiggle the cup before pouring it on the surface to keep the powder from settling to the bottom. Once some was dribble on the surface I quickly tipped the bowl to a direction I wanted the slurry to run. Then tilted it back toward the starting point. Once the mica powder once evenly distributed, I hit it with the air pressure. This caused numerous small fingers to radiate out from the main stream. I started with the lightest color first and the darker gold over the lighter golds and the silver. Because of the alcohol and more transparent mix the surface was smoother and more transparent. The alcohol also dried quickly. When I poured one layer over another they also melted together more

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Pretty cool Bob.....don't care for how the coloring came out for Pic #1 but your beading on the bowl is top shelf. The bottom side (pic#2) IMO Jimi Hendrix cool. Maybe it's the purple haze in-between the other colors that sets it off for me.....really like that. Pic #3 & #4 are very heavy metal interesting IMHO. Appreciate your posting of this work.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Pretty cool Bob.....don't care for how the coloring came out for Pic #1 but your beading on the bowl is top shelf. The bottom side (pic#2) IMO Jimi Hendrix cool. Maybe it's the purple haze in-between the other colors that sets it off for me.....really like that. Pic #3 & #4 are very heavy metal interesting IMHO. Appreciate your posting of this work.
    Thanks Dave, the first bowl I mixed too much powder into the oil and I was pushing puddles of opaque paint, but it didn't run well and the layers piled up. The second was with less powder and it was mixed in alcohol which flowed much better and blended in with previous layers. The results are quite different. Most like the second over the first. The first does have a 70s look to it. Maybe off the cover of an album by "The Mommas and Papas".

I'm presently playing with 'blow' painting as well. I love the effect you got on the second bowl. The 'ghosting' is really attractive.
    If anyone wants to see some Utube vids the guy to watch is Gary Lowe, a Scottish turner who has several videos on different aspects and applications. Lots of fun!!!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Had a guy critiquing at the last meeting stating how he used a soda straw as a kid to push paint around on paper. Same idea except you don't have to worry about inhaling!

Not to mention getting dizzy . . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Not to mention getting dizzy . . . .
    Sure would get dizzy now days. Blowing up balloons isn't on my list for fun any more either.