Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cherry haul and engrain sealing

i turn few open bowls, and the ones I do turn are mostly ogee bowls. But, I do quite a few lidded bowls. The larger pith slab seems to minimize warp, and 4" is plenty for a nice ogee form up to around 12" diameter. The thicker slab also has a lot more uses than a thinner one, including leaving plenty material for a lidded bowl, which typically takes a bit over 3". So, I guess the thickness of the slab has as much to do with what one turns as anything.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    i turn few open bowls, and the ones I do turn are mostly ogee bowls. But, I do quite a few lidded bowls. The larger pith slab seems to minimize warp, and 4" is plenty for a nice ogee form up to around 12" diameter. The thicker slab also has a lot more uses than a thinner one, including leaving plenty material for a lidded bowl, which typically takes a bit over 3". So, I guess the thickness of the slab has as much to do with what one turns as anything.
    Good point John. I've used my MacNaughton straight slicer to cut slabs because some log halves are just too deep. Many times I will core with a full half log and the turn off the top of the rim. From the largest bowl. The smaller ones don't seem to crack as much as ones above 14". I follow Reed Grey's technique and round the edges of the rim and wrap the rim with plastic wrap and duct tape. I have some ash at 23" drying in the garage that should be dry around August.
    Member Illiana Woodturners