Thread: Thinking about a TIG welder

Blog Entries

Thinking about a TIG welder

Just a small one like the Miller Diversion 165. The thing I don't understand is the ampeage. Miller says that it goes to 165A. Then they say it comes with a 50A 230V cable. So what sort of circuit would I have to have to drive this thing?

Thanks to all.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 03-16-2016 at 10:47 PM.

I think the amperage listed is what is delivered to the metal - at a much lower voltage. The circuitry in the welder converts the current to what is needed for the specific material and thickness.

I have the Diversion 180. I run it on a 50A 220v. In fact, I run my plasma cutter and all of my welders (stick, mig, tig) on the same power. (Everything except for a little Weld Pack 100 110v flux core machine I keep for the portability and to loan out.)

I wired three 50A recepticals inside my shop and one outside on my welding porch. I also made up a 20 foot long 50A extension cord which has been extremely useful when welding outside on something large such as a horse trailer. (I also used the extension cord to reach to the far corners to weld the rebar when building the shop.)

You might also want to look at the 180 model. You can plug it into a standard 110v outlet where the 50 amp circuit is not available, if welding thinner metals.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-17-2016 at 12:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Silly Me

of course you can have more amps out than in. I forgot Ohm's law. My face is red.
    Knowing that I can run something on 50(240v) is very helpful. I'm just specing out a new house and shop. I ran my old shop on a 50A load center. I will ask the builder to put in 100A. I can take it from there.

Thanks,
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I think the amperage listed is what is delivered to the metal - at a much lower voltage. The circuitry in the welder converts the current to what is needed for the specific material and thickness.

I have the Diversion 180. I run it on a 50A 220v. In fact, I run my plasma cutter and all of my welders (stick, mig, tig) on the same power. (Everything except for a little Weld Pack 100 110v flux core machine I keep for the portability and to loan out.)

I wired three 50A recepticals inside my shop and one outside on my welding porch. I also made up a 20 foot long 50A extension cord which has been extremely useful when welding outside on something large such as a horse trailer. (I also used the extension cord to reach to the far corners to weld the rebar when building the shop.)

You might also want to look at the 180 model. You can plug it into a standard 110v outlet where the 50 amp circuit is not available, if welding thinner metals.

JKJ

If you are planning on welding aluminum you are right on the edge power wise. I have a Lincoln Square Wave 175 and weld a lot of aluminum. I have burned up my air cooled torch and finally fitted a water cooled torch, much better. I also have the Miller 211 MIG. It like the machine you are looking at has the 110/220 interchangeable plugs which are nice. Probably more useful for the MIG than the TIG.

If if you plan on doing much aluminum you should probably consider the Lincoln 225 also, not much more money. Find an old water cooler on craigslist.

Blog Entries
    This TIG stuff is sort of new to me. I'm an old Oxy-acetylene guy and TIG appeals to me. It seems more precise and more like something I could do from time to time in my basement without burning the house down. Less stink than stick welding and no flammable gasses.

It's been over 30 years since I've melted metal and I'm sure a lot has changed. I remember trying MIG and I had a dickens of a time even striking an arc.

The other consideration is that I suffer from something called familial tremons which basically means that I have shaky hands. It's a genetic thing and is worst when I'm tired. It's something I've always had, it's not advancing with age and it never bothered me when I was working with a torch. I just naturally find ways to steady my hands on something and quit when I get tired.

I think you will like TIG. I don't have a lot of experience but as a former welding inspector I know what the welds are supposed to look like!

Handling the welding rod is just like for gas welding which I preferred for thin sheet steel. The TIG torch took some getting used to for me since the distance, angle, and power (with the foot pedal) have to be coordinated. The nice thing is how clean it is! One author I read said you could TIG weld in a white suit and not get it dirty. :-) I have a shaky left arm but I can almost always brace my arm against the welding table or something else. I far prefer MIG for most welding, farm equipment repair, building new things since it is a lot faster. I love the pinpoint control with TIG, especially for small things like tool making, etc.

saw.jpg

I ran 100 amps to my new shop (250' underground from the meter with #1 AWG copper in conduit). I would far rather spend the money once for copper than deal with excessive voltage drops from now on. This way I can't exceed 3% drop over that distance. Inside the shop I think I ran #6 cable to the welding recepticals but I'd have to check. I remember it was a REAL pain to connect things. I recommend a large box!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Just a small one like the Miller Diversion 165. The thing I don't understand is the ampeage. Miller says that it goes to 165A. Then they say it comes with a 50A 230V cable. So what sort of circuit would I have to have to drive this thing?

Thanks to all.

HI Roger. I currently have a Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIG and previously had an Airco model. TIG welding is great!

As others have mentioned, if you plan to weld much aluminum you are at the edge of the envelope with respect to amperage. If I were you, I would consider watching for a good used machine with more power.

Important features to have with TIG is high frequency (important for welding aluminum) and a water cooled torch.

Scott

Ditto what Scott said. Aluminum takes lots of heat, an air cooled torch is fine.... until it gets so hot your feel the heat through your glove. Up to say 150-200 amps its all fun and games, long term and more amps you will be looking for a water setup. TIG is fun, if you can weld with a Oxy-Acetylene you've got it 75% learned. Good TIG weld is like a work of art. Yes you need hi frequency and duh AC.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all. My doctor is fond of saying, "The test worth doing is one that forces you to make a decision." These replies have made me decide on a large 100A box instead of the 50A one I had in my old shop. We will be bringing over 200A from the main house and my load center will branch off of that.

The electrician will install my load center and that makes a great line of demarcation between the professional and the amateur. From my load center downstream, I will do all the wiring.

Anyone in the DC area want a 50A load center?