Thread: Rhodesian Ridgeback Carving

Rhodesian Ridgeback Carving

RhodRidge 8 copy.jpgRhodRidge 7 copy.jpg
    Here is my latest. I have only met a few of this breed in my life and each time they impress me as a dog that would be really at home in the wild. So I carved him to sort of a rough and raw appeal.

Anyway, hope you like him.

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback German Shepperd mix. He is a great dog. Very loving and really just a big lover. Little info on them, they were bred to flush out lions in Rhodesia so they have a keen sense of smell and are always attentive to their surroundings.

Your carving looks great.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Very nice work.

Lower Onslow NS, about half way between the the North Pole and the Equator
    Hi James
    Another carving very well done,how tall are these carvings?
    What are you using for wood ?
    Bruce

I carve these to be a size that will fit on a desktop or an end table or some other table like surface. These are really like refresher aids that I am carving for people toiling away at a job or similarly occupied. I recommend to people that they put them where they can look up from what they are doing and without much effort bring the carving into view...I carve them in poses that are often suggestive of action about to occur. I want them to be able to see the piece and be taken away from their toils for about five minutes to come back refreshed and better able to finish out the rest of their days. Sort of a substitute for what our pets do for us in the flesh. How often do the specific things they do or the way they do them make us laugh. Its sort of our pets job I think and I am just providing kind of a substitute for the actual pet that can be put in a convenient place so it can do its job. I will discuss with them what kind of pose will speak to them that way and carve and finish them as close to their pet as I can make them. I always carve them so that there is clearly something or somebody interacting with the subject...I always carve something going on in the eyes and often in the limbs and I try to make the pet owner as much a part of the choices as I can and I will build my own pattern files from photos I take or photos they send me.

Height is usually anywhere from 4.5" to 6" or a little over. Length usually anywhere from 6" to 8" and anywhere from 2.25" to 3" wide. Sometimes I carve some features into the base that helps the whole effect and makes for some added points of interest.

Wood is normally basswood and sometimes something more exotic. I want the wood used to be dense enough so that the person I am carving for gets something of substance. So I manually carve everything. I just try to avoid too much grain as it can distract the eye and can sort of defeat the purpose. I finish them so they can be handled and some people really like that...even though its wood, some texture done the right way can still help the effect I am looking to achieve.

Lower Onslow NS, about half way between the the North Pole and the Equator
    Thanks james
    I It is hard to get the right sizes in ones mind from looking at photos some times, i love your work , thinking I might give have a go at making a Schnauzer one of these days, I just finished a relief carving of a Bichon for our carved quilt we are doing in our carving club,
    keep the dogs coming , I love them all.
    BruceDSCF8703 (Small).JPG

Glad you found a way to get to a Bichon pattern. I like that one especially for a carving quilt which IMO should be kinda' whimsical especially for one of these little guys. Are the other contributors doing similar carvings, like animals and such? I know I have seen a Bichon pattern someplace. Just can't remember where I saw it. Frankly if memory serves me, your finished quilting square looks better than the pattern I remember.
    Last edited by James Nugnes; 03-19-2016 at 9:25 PM.

As always, thanks to all for your kind and generous comments on the work.