Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need to go to a meeting or something, as I'm in the grip of saw addiction

I knew what Gene was talking about right when I saw this thread. I'm proud to saw, I mean say I'm a saw addict, but I can't buy 'em up like y'all. No allowance and I only get money when I saw, I mean sell vegetables in the summer and when I sell my works,so I'm in the position of tribulation. So that Knew Concepts coping saw's that good? This thread ain't helping none. Hmm, coping saw, let me go check the funds, DERN IT!
    Last edited by Brent Cutshall; 03-18-2016 at 7:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    I knew what Gene was talking about right when I saw this thread. I'm proud to saw, I mean say I'm a saw addict, but I can't buy 'em up like y'all. No allowance and I only get money when I saw, I mean sell vegetables in the summer and when I sell my works,so I'm in the position of tribulation. So that Knew Concepts coping saw's that good? This thread ain't helping none. Hmm, coping saw, let me go check the funds, DERN IT!
    The Knew concepts saw isn't necessary by any stretch. You can set a $15 Olson up well enough to do top-notch work, and plenty of people have done so. What I meant when I said that it delivers more tangible benefit than a premium chisel is that there's more immediately perceptible difference. It's easy to set up, it's easy to tension to the point where it works well on the push stroke (that's how mine is set up), the 45 deg detents are handy, etc. It's just way more pleasant to use IMO.

EDIT: IMO the real star of the Knew Concepts show is the fretsaw. which is perfect for cleaning dovetails etc. You can't tension it as much as the coping saw because of fundamental limitations in how fretsaw blades attach (they're held by friction rather than pins in holes), but it's still way better than conventional fretsaws and maneuverable enough to get into dovetail corners etc.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 03-18-2016 at 1:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    The knew concepts saw is pretty good, I like the fact that it has detents and also that you can change out the blades so quickly. A little bow-saw would be a bit sexier, but we can't have it all, now can we?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    The knew concepts saw is pretty good, I like the fact that it has detents and also that you can change out the blades so quickly. A little bow-saw would be a bit sexier, but we can't have it all, now can we?
    I thought long and hard about that 12" TFWW bow saw back when I got the Knew Concepts coping saw. If I'd known I would end up using a fretsaw for most dovetail work anyway I probably would have gone with the bow saw instead of the coping saw.

Blog Entries
    Agreed, I feel I should have gotten the fret saw and the bow saw...one more saw than necessary won't kill me though, hehe.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

When you have so many saws that they are hanging from the ceiling joists..
    saw Till.jpg
    And have more in the tool chests....THEN you have a problem. Oh, BTW, I've had to add a few more hooks to hang even more up on....

Steven! You've got to stop showing pictures of your saws. I'm breaking into a sweat looking at 'em here.

Don't need no fancy saw for dovetails...
    backsaw.jpg
    This MIGHT be a Disston No.4.......
    IMAG0298.jpg
    seemed to do a decent job
    pins done.jpg
    That a chisel could clean things up.
    Saw is about 14" long, 9ppi, filed rip. That board is Pine.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I thought long and hard about that 12" TFWW bow saw back when I got the Knew Concepts coping saw. If I'd known I would end up using a fretsaw for most dovetail work anyway I probably would have gone with the bow saw instead of the coping saw.
    The TFWW bow saw is on my short list also....

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    Steven! You've got to stop showing pictures of your saws. I'm breaking into a sweat looking at 'em here.
    He surely works into a sweat using them....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Rehab is for quitters.........that is, unless you are into rehabbing old saws.
    ^^^^^^^ What he said.

It's not saw a true saw addiction until the number of saws you have squirreled away at least doubles the number you can actually use.
    Get the LN, it's a good saw to start you down the rabbit hole.
    "Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."

Quote Originally Posted by Niels Cosman View Post
    ^^^^^^^ What he said.

It's not saw a true saw addiction until the number of saws you have squirreled away at least doubles the number you can actually use.
    ....Or your living room looks like this

saws.jpg
    "Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."