Thread: Jet 1642 tailstock swingaway

Jet 1642 tailstock swingaway

Looks like jet's coming out with one for their 14 and 16" lathes.

I like the idea of it but don't know if I'll bite on the $300 price tag.

Anybody going to go for it? I'd imagine it's almost the same as the powermatic version

I bought one from Tom Steyer at JT Turning tools. I believe that Jet/Powermatic is either selling his product, paid him for rights, or is just ripping off his design. No idea which, though they did get nailed for copying OneWay's design on the live center.

I paid more that that for the one from JT Turning Tools, and while expensive, the help it provides is greatly appreciated by my back. I not only use it when hollowing from the end, but anytime I want that sharp point out of the way of my elbow.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Your back will tell you when it's time and you won't mind spending the money then. Till then, I've seen posts where folks built a wooden extension just to park the tailstock further from the headstock.
    faust

Actually I believe JT 's unit was copied with no compensation or consideration to what Tom had been and still is selling. I guess that is the world we live in today but I feel for the little guy.

Is this Tom Vensel ? How much does his costs ?How do I get up with him? Ive been wanting one and I like to support the little guy or the one with original idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Turner View Post
    Is this Tom Vensel ? How much does his costs ?How do I get up with him? Ive been wanting one and I like to support the little guy or the one with original idea!!
    It is Tom Steyer $359.00 + shipping from JT Turning Tools - http://www.jtturningtools.com/tailstockmanager
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Question is are you taking the tailstock off now, lots of times, if so, maybe put out the cash, yes you will use it more if you have it. I just take mine off, and save the money, I have both powermatic and robust lathes, for me its not worth it. By the way Robust is 800 dollars, both of my lathes have long beds. its just not needed, one more whistle and bell that I can do without.

I purchased the yellow version when Powermatic & Jet had the 20% off on equipment and accessories a few months ago. I arrived at the age where I didn't want to lift the Powermatic tailstock off the bed anymore. The unit is well constructed and easy to use. I would provide additional support for the tailstock in the swing away position if I was turning an large unbalanced load at the end of the lathe. It takes a bit of adjusting to get the alignment between the swing away and the bed correct and I would be worried that the heavy vibration would change the adjustment.

Another option is an electric winch. Cheap, and can also be used to lift heavy logs and a bed extension.

It takes a bit of adjusting to get the alignment between the swing away and the bed correct and I would be worried that the heavy vibration would change the adjustment.
    I have the J T turning swing away and I don't think they are identical. J T stuff is usually pretty good but I really had a hard time getting the swing away aligned with the ways. It wasn't welded square and I had to shim to get it to work. For the price I believe it should have been better but back then it was the only one I could get.
    Fred