Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mineral Spirits?

Mineral Spirits?

I'm preparing to do the finishing on my latest project which is cherry. Before I finish, I thought I could wipe the piece down with mineral spirits to see any stray marks I may not normally see. Is this acceptable?

Thanks,

Sean
    Sean Hughes

"Your heart is free...have the courage to follow it." Braveheart

Sean,

From everything I have read it is not only acceptable, but advisable. Just go light and let it dry well before finishing.

Yup...I also tend to do it between sanding grits to insure that broken off material doesn't scratch when the subsequent grit is used. Wiping with MS will really give you a close approximation of what the wood will look like after applying a "clear" finish, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Also....

...mineral spirits, or paint thinner, is a great degreaser. I use it on the wheel wells of my vehicles to remove tar. You can use it on linoleum, vinyl, well, just about any surface to remove grease. And, it does great on removing the cosmoline gunk on your new saws. Good stuff.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Mineral spirits, naphtha or alcohol will work well. The alcohol will evaporate faster so you can get to finishing.

Wiping your project down will preview the color the wood will take if you use an oil based clear finish. It will also highlight any glue blobs you missed or any sanding or finishing marks that need attention.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson
    Mineral spirits, naphtha or alcohol will work well. The alcohol will evaporate faster so you can get to finishing.

Wiping your project down will preview the color the wood will take if you use an oil based clear finish. It will also highlight any glue blobs you missed or any sanding or finishing marks that need attention.
    Wow.... this thread has even brought in Howard the finishing "EXPERT" and I do mean "EXPERT"!

You can take his advice to the bank and even draw interest

Great advice from all..... I just had to come back to see if I was correct on this one or not.

Yes, Howie is someone that I've learned quite a bit from over the past few years in forums...sometimes I even remember some of it when it "counts"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Danger Will Robinson...

OK, I have to comment here.

This summer I took a class from Kerry Pierce, who has written several books and articles for a couple WW magazines. He has been battling a rare form of cancer, I think a lymphoma of some type.

His oncologist, upon diagnosing him, asked if he was a woodworker, then asked if he used mineral spirits on a regular basis. You already know the answers were yes and yes.

The doctor explained that his cancer was extremely rare, but that 50% of the victims were woodworkers who used mineral spirits on a regular basis.

His doctor was sure that exposure to MS was linked to Kerry's cancer.

Kerry tells this story to every class he teaches, but the word needs to get out to more people.

I asked Kerry, why don't you write an article for (insert un-named guilty woodworking magazine here) and explain to all woodworkers the danger of MS? His answer was he had offered to write such an article, and had been told that due to liability, no magazine would touch it!

I was in shock! Here is information that every woodworker should know, and yet the magazines won't print it! They should be sued for dereliction of duty!

Kerry no longer uses any MS in his shop. He said he only uses foam brushes, once, then throws them away. He uses Waterlox, but uses rubber gloves and a respirator. I would caution all woodworkers to do the same.

One more thing. Kerry has a 50-50 chance of being alive in 3 years. I am sure he would appreciate all ya'lls prayers.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Martin, I don't want to take issue with the man's doctor but the Material Safety Data Sheet for mineral spirits contains the following:

EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - CHRONIC HAZARDS: Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents may be harmful or fatal. Based on the available information, this material cannot be classified with regard to carcinogenicity.

CLOSE QUOTE

The material is not classified and a carcinogen, even in the overly strict state of California. That's probably the reason that no magazine would publish a story making that claim. Even the cautions above refer to "repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure". This means workers who are exposed all day, everyday to very high volumes of mineral spirits. This would be well beyond whatever the amatuer woodworker would experiance
    Howie.........

Is this a reach?

OK, I have to comment here.....
    The doctor explained that his cancer was extremely rare, but that 50% of the victims were woodworkers who used mineral spirits on a regular basis.
    His doctor was sure that exposure to MS was linked to Kerry's cancer.
    [QUOTE=Martin Shupe]

Hey Martin,
    I have all the respect in the world for doctors, but I'm not ready to agree 100% with the MS diagnoses. Seems to me a woodworker has far less exposure to MS than a painter. I'm no scientest, but I just don't make the leap the doctor does. This is no more than an opinion, but MS has been around for many years and I can't see the panic. My sister in law has a rare form of lymphoma. She worked at a nursery for years. A lot of exposure to chemicals. Who knows? I'd teat MS with a fair amount of caution and common sense, but I can't see not using it as one normally does.
    Might see 'ya at Steves this year, take care,
    Phil
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Woodworkers are exposed to a lot of substances in addition to mineral spirits. But, it does make you think... 50% is too high to be mere coincidence (unless he's only seen 2 cases or he lives in a community that's 50% woodworkers).

No sale here

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hooks
    Woodworkers are exposed to a lot of substances in addition to mineral spirits. But, it does make you think... 50% is too high to be mere coincidence (unless he's only seen 2 cases or he lives in a community that's 50% woodworkers).
    Keith, 50% is epidemic. I'd have to see the stats this doctor is talking about, but in the mean time I think this is over the top.
    Phil in Big D

I am merely relaying the caution that Kerry expressed based on his experience.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

Does anyone here know what an LD50 is? Well, if you look at a pesticide or poison product, the LD50 is the lethal dose for 50% of the population exposed that amount. What about the other 50%? I don't know, but if what the doc says is true, and that 50% of the people with that rare form of cancer are woodworkers, that's enough for me to take extra precautions in my shop.

I used to clean my hands with MS after painting with enamel. Never again.

I want to live to see my grandchildren fight over my furniture.

When I find Kerry's email, I will forward him this thread, and try to get him to post his comments.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

I meant to add in my previous post that while mineral spirits is not a known carcinogen, some wood and wood dust is classified as a known carcinogen. So, is anything in woodworking is a carcinogen, suspect the wood, not mineral spirits.
    Howie.........

15. I did a quick Google search after checking the CDC website and not finding anything on mineral spirits and cancer. There are some links to Stoddard solvent and mineral spirits, but I understand there are some differences betwene the two, and that Stoddard is really closer to the more dangerous chemicals. Toulene, benzene and several other solvents are linked to cancers of different types.The weird thing is that exposure levels to even known carcinogens vary from person to person. The other 50% of the people in the LD50 stat just might be completely OK, for reasons we don't understand.

I think I'll be a bit more circumspect around the chemicals I handle after reading some of these links! Gloves are a good thing.

You can go too far, though. I've often wondered why the extremely dangerous chemical DHMO (dihydrogen oxide), which is responsible for several thousand deaths each year. A good site on this very common chemical is at http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html Its absolutely chilling to see that is a very common component of nearly every dangerous chemical that has already been banned from households!